Anyone Familiar With Sky Tv Cables ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Among other things we 're refurbing a 1930 ex council house , ongoing , hospital job.   Builder wants to put sky cables in at 1st fix.     Dish to Skybox, up to loft booster & 3 downleads from that . 

Question is what cable is required for what was referred to as  HD Sky , builder reckons its a 3 core .   I know nothing about Sky .

No idea Murdo ,  builder reckons that was the layout used before .  I didn't put them in .  I did hear that the Skyman won't normally connect to cable installed by others .

(  The Skyman !!!!.......... is'nt that a song ,  " Theres a Skyman waiting up the stairs ...."  ??    

He reckons 3 core to enable some other function .   Probably easier to just get the Skyman in  after all he is  ..." Waiting up there "   But he wants me to wire it while I'm there . 

Am I understanding it right that the aim is to distribute the channel being watched downstairs all around the house, rather than give provision for multiple sky boxes?

In which case a standard loft box system requires three sat coaxs down to the lounge. 1) Combined tv aerial/fm aerial/LNB1 down to lounge. 2) separate down in case of sky plus for LNB 2 3) return feed to the loft for distribution.

However I think the days of being able to buy a TV with an analogue tuner are numbered now that there are no broadcast signals on it anymore. I'd be tempted to chuck at least three data cables to each location as well... HMDI can be sent over a pair of data cable and the third one for normal data use.

The thin shotgun cable is only good for about 10m. Beyond that use W100 coax.

A recording box needs 2 satellite cables from the dish, if there is also a freesat TV make it 3cables instead

1 cat5 or 6 cable to the router location per device (TV+blu ray+av amp) plus another network cable and a further wf100 and HDMI cable to loft or av cupboard.

Plus plenty of power points....

Am I understanding it right that the aim is to distribute the channel being watched downstairs all around the house, rather than give provision for multiple sky boxes?

In which case a standard loft box system requires three sat coaxs down to the lounge. 1) Combined tv aerial/fm aerial/LNB1 down to lounge. 2) separate down in case of sky plus for LNB 2 3) return feed to the loft for distribution.

However I think the days of being able to buy a TV with an analogue tuner are numbered now that there are no broadcast signals on it anymore. I'd be tempted to chuck at least three data cables to each location as well... HMDI can be sent over a pair of data cable and the third one for normal data use.
Thanks Phoenix ,  I'm going to put that to him but insist he gets confirmation from a Sky guy  or just gets them in anyway .

The idea is a giant TV in the lounge, small one in kitchen , small one in bedroom.   He won't thank me for chasing out a wall for a forgotten cable. 

When we had sky installed I wanted the dish in a specific place, and no cable running here there and everywhere, so I installed a cable (Coax  rg58) sky bloke came, was well happy, since he did not have to install a cable.

As I understand it, unless you have 3 sky boxes, all 3 tvs will have to be on the same channel

Also as said, if the viewer does not want to watch sky, you should install another coax to each tv and run it to an external TV aerial so they can watch free view. (Although you may be better off installing a signal amp in the loft and running the freeview tv cables to there)

Deke, for a 'normal' master tv set-up you need 3 co-ax down, and one back up,

plus, as has been pointed out, a telephone point, and its also a good idea to run a cat5e as well,

oh, and dont forget, you will probably need a 2.5 T&E as well,  ;)

Our sky box does not know what a phone line is. Unplugged it before we went on holiday a couple of years ago, never plugged it back in. We don't use any interactive or p.a.y.g  channel.