Dimmer Switch Stuck In?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarro

Reaction score
Hello

This might be ridiculous but I'm clueless so please forgive me!

My dimmer light switch no longer clicks on and off (dimmer doesn't work either). I clicked it off and it didn't click back, it's stuck clicked off I guess? When I press the dimmer switch in nothing happens. Honestly I don't mind if it's broken but I've heard horror stories about this being dangerous or causing fires.

Can someone let me know if this is at all a cause for concern or is it just a broken switch? Thanks

it could just be a broken switch,

or, it may well be burnt out due to overload, which may be a cause for concern,

how many lamps/bulbs, and of what type and wattage was it controlling?

The faceplate is still cold and it's been an hour so I'm hoping that's good, I've heard they can get hot.

It's 4 of those small pyramid shape lightbulbs that you press into the ceiling, sorry not sure ahat they're called or the wattage of them!

chances are your switch has just went,

but, without knowing the rating of your switch, [probably only 250watt max]

or the rating of your 'bulbs'

its almost impossible to say without any testing.

I don't know if it helps but this switch is always very sticky but it usually unsticks instantly. Is there anything I should do right now or is it fine to be left? It's in a very unused room so it really won't matter if It doesn't work.

I tried pulling the knob off, I can turn it no problem it just doesn't do anything.

Best thing to  do Jarrow is what Murdo says , replace it with a ordinary switch .   I'm guessing you are a Muggle ( Non electrical type person)  but quite simple if you want to do it yourself.

(1)    SWITCH OFF THE POWER   :eek:

(2)     Remove dimmer , note where the cables go & if theres more than one in a terminal.

(3)    Stick a switch on , restore power , all is well .  

The faceplate is still cold and it's been an hour so I'm hoping that's good, I've heard they can get hot.

It's 4 of those small pyramid shape lightbulbs that you press into the ceiling, sorry not sure ahat they're called or the wattage of them!

Is it a plain white switch or decorative? The dimmer modules can be replaced as a separate item if you want to retain the existing front plate.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/IQ_Dimmer_Modules/index.html

By pyramid shaped lamps I presume GU10's. If so it may be worth considering swapping to LED's which can be a simple replacement. 

and use about 1/10th of the power.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: