Hob And Oven

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orkneyman

Reaction score
Hi

My daughter has just bought a new induction hob and a built in oven. Hob is 6.4kw and oven is rated at 3.5kw.

There is a 32amp breaker in the CU, from that runs 6mmx2 cable ( total run is about 15 metres and cable is clipped clear of loft insulation)  to a 45 amp dp cooker switch with socket, the same size cable runs to a cooker outlet box under the worktop. If I change the cooker outlet to a dual outlet can I run both oven and hob from it? The instructions for the oven state 'connection via' oven control circuit 2.5mmx2 pvc/pvc t+e, fuse it lists both 15a and 20a min. Hob, I've not found out yet what what the manufacturer states as it's in store at the moment. So my thinking was one side of the dual outlet to oven in said 2.5mmx2 cable, other side of outlet in 6mmx2 cable to hob. Does that sound ok? I'm in Scotland so part p doesn't apply. Any advice much appreciated.

I realised that the 2.5mm cable is effectively protected by a 32a breaker  which is not good. So I shall take the 2.5mm to an fcu and then 2.5mm to the oven. Sound ok?

Sorry 6mm to fcu THEN 2.5mm to oven.

It's usually OK to install a dual outlet and wire both hob and oven from it, the oven getting it's overcurrent protection via a 13A FCU, the FCU would need to be wired in minimum 4.0mm CSA cable from the hob outlet (for a 32A circuit). If you use 6.0mm you might struggle to get the three cables in the hob outlet - a 4.0mm flex for the hob could make life easier too.

If the oven is rated at 3500W that gives a design current of over 15A and IIRC diversity cannot be applied to the oven therefore a 13A FCU may be inadequate. It may be necessary to run a 2.5mm radial circuit from the consumer unit protected by a 16A MCB with a DP switch above counter height and a second low level outlet plate for the oven. For clarity I would scrutinize the manufacturers recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you're probably a very good DIY-er but I would respectfully advise you to consult a professional electrician regarding this work who will also be able to produce a safety certificate.

Thanks for the advice. The instructions further state; applicable types of cable for UK only, 'connection via' 13a socket outlet -13a spur box, min size cable/flex-- 2.5mm, cable type-- 3 core butyl insulated, fuse-- 13a min. So it seems it would not require 15a fuse except when connected to the oven (cooker) control circuit as in my first post.