Windows 10

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not installed windows 10 yet BUT I've just discovered that my AppleMac now supports windows..........

windows.png

Windows 10

Isn't it funny how they adopt more and more Linux stuff with every release, 

and, I see they are supporting a lot of open source stuff with this release too,

The missus just won't stop harping on about Zorin and how it "won't run her old Windows programs". Debating buying a new, cheapo SSD (like 60GB for £30) put the genuine Windows 7 on it from the boy's dead Acer laptop and see if I can get the upgrade to Windows 10 on it for her.

I have windows 10.

Took a couple of hours to download, doesn't seem to be much different. One thing I will say though.

Often its the smaller things that will not work under win 10, such as your antivirus (AVG does work) your internet connection (win 10 changes it and doesn't tell you) spell checker in fire fox (depending on your settings)

It does not have a "start" button like the old versions did. (if it does, i have not found it)

Start button bottom left, right click it.

Installed on a laptop and desktop.

I would uninstall any Antivirus programs before upgrade then reinstall after.

Both machines boot faster and open programs faster, shut down is a couple of seconds.

I've had no issues once installed, just my Avast antivirus C***** up the first download, had to roll back to 8.1 which is just 1 click and your old setup is back, you have 1 month to do this as many times as you want.

Knowing Avast was an issue, uninstalled first on 2nd machine and no issues at all everything picked up all drivers just like a Mac, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any reason I would want Windows 10  , I have Vista on here which people tell me is carp .  It seems alright to me but then, in the words of Manuel, I know nothing .  :C

I've no idea what Firefox does TBH ....it freezes & crashes occasionally .

the reports back from keen young fellas who I know like gadgets is that windows 10 is still not bug free, better than previous version releases but....

other issue is you need a fairly up to date pc/ laptop to run it on, which I don't possess so won't be installing windows 10 in a hurry. In the future I'm sure I will, but I will give it at least 6 months and a few service packages before I do so.

Am I right in saying that a big black metal box that makes grumbling noises under the desk is not classed as " up to date" ?
I'm a fan of big metal boxes under desks, they are cheaper, more reliable, and normally connected to  a monitor big enough to read any writing on websites. Notice how mobile phones and tablets are growing in size, soon they will be the size of a tablet. Notice how tablets are growing in size, soon they will be the size of  a laptop ....... I wonder why???? Whether the contents of said box is up to date is another matter.

The above doesn't mean I don't use my phone sometimes when out and about, it is very useful, I just don't understand why people use them as their only point of internet access, and in my opinion  a serious source of frustration :^O

My missus bought me a big swanky singing dancing 21" led a couple of years ago for Xmas, :)

And, also I have a speaker system for watching my rock'n'roll stuff,   :D  

2 X 21" for me, great for pricing, plans on one screen and estimating program on the other, or invoicing on one and worksheet on the other, if I had room on the desk I would have 3  :)

So far not 1 issue with W10 very stable, and after installing SSD on the desktop its as fas as a Mac  :innocent