Dilemma

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsnd_medic

Reaction score
I have just been to quote for a job of replacing a fuse box for a 17th edition CU. it's an easy domestic job but the customer does not want me to do the initial inspection afterwards. He obviously wants to watch his money. Where do I stand on this legally and according to the regs? He just wants me to write a disclaimer on the invoice........I have never been in this situation but must admit I need the work just now........anyone else face this.......any advice appreciated.

"initial inspection afterwards"  there's an oxymoron if there was one.

So how will you deal with the situation that you swap the CU, and the rcd trips due to a fault on an existing circuit?

You have to do some testing and things like earth bonding upgrades etc.

Unless of course you arrive at the job on a horse wearing spurs.

One "solution" is bump up the price for the CU and don't tell him you are doing any testing. Then the customer thinks he has "won"

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving aside the fact that you would have to be mad to do this, [how much **** would you be in if anything went wrong possibly YEARS later] if the customer is that much of a prat, and he obviously thinks he is smart, i think you stand a very good chance of being ripped off when you go to get paid anyway.....

There is too much risk in this for you...

Please walk away.....

john...

I have just been to quote for a job of replacing a fuse box for a 17th edition CU. it's an easy domestic job but the customer does not want me to do the initial inspection afterwards. He obviously wants to watch his money. Where do I stand on this legally and according to the regs? He just wants me to write a disclaimer on the invoice........I have never been in this situation but must admit I need the work just now........anyone else face this.......any advice appreciated.
Do you mean he doesn't want ANY testing?

If thats the case the customer is a mug - so quote him to do the job properly - or don't bother sending a price - simples

Who would price changing the CU separately to doing the testing anyway?

and, I would not even contemplate changing a CU without doing some testing beforehand 

The standard sale of goods and supply of goods and services laws apply where you receive money for some work. Legally all goods and services you supply or provide must be fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. How do you propose to confirm your work meets recognised standard (BS7671) without doing the recommended testing and certification? I cannot see any reason why you shouldn't quote and do a proper job,

Doc H.

dsdn-medic, you need a customer like this as much as you need an extra hole in your head. If you are short of work spend your time touting for business / advertising / phone friends and neighbours and get some decent customers. What this prat is asking you to do is bascially break the law - DON'T. You may find if you stand your ground he caves in anyway and pays for a proper job.

and, as said above,

you could well end up not being paid at all,

can you imagine it,

turn up and change the board,

the RCD simply wont stay on, do you think they will actually pay you?

I wouldnt walk away from this though,

I'd run like it was closing time,,,,   

:run