Door Entry System

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a door entry system ,  decent quality for commercial use .

I fitted a Firmax 4 figure code there in 2000 , had to change the code three times as the buttons stopped responding .

Its now playing up again and customer is asking about a new one as follows. :-

Card swipe operation, releases door catch .

Camera to see visitors when they buzz up to the offices.

A TV monitor .

About 50 employees .

Thanks Kerch , I'll take a look at Videx .

I was just thinking , this door code , which is at a printers I look after , is probably used about 200 times a day so since I fitted it ...buttons have been pressed about 5385 times   not counting myself . 

I've got a job on the go with Videx kit, don't ask, if you remember I did ask about 18 months ago.

Not the kits fault, it has been good.

Client did half the job & I got landed with sorting it out.

Not a good scenario.

Gate entry.

I "think" one of the Videx interfaces to the phone system has failed.

Videx kit is typically used for entry systems to blocks of flats and stuff.

It is quite substantial in my experience, and their help system has been very good in helping me sort out the clients issues with their bodged half of the job.

I always use BELL systems. Used to be local to me. I think the best feature is a nice electronic warble as the sounder at the handset which also sounds at the outside panel so the person pressing any button knows it has done something and so doesn't keep wacking any button until an answer is got.

Also on the larger panels the PSU has the lock release via a relay so no volt drop from the flat on the top floor.

They also do a vandal resistant panel which we mostly fit due to aesthetics , its a nice thick stainless flat plate with good stainless buttons.

Edited to Bell. Videx used to be ok but I don't rate It much now.

Last edited by a moderator:
in my experinece Videx is ok, but not brilliant ie lasts about 2 years then starts to corrode internally on the door panel. Anything cheaper is just crap. Go didgital whatever you use, 2 wires is a lot easier than 4 or 6 telephone wires which are so fragile especially when they strat to rust.

Use signal cable rather than telephone cable, ie the stuff normally supplied for alarms, it's a bit thicker and a lot more robust consequently

Just realised I got. Earlier posts name wrong. Its BELL systems we use

I have some Bell stuff in 15 years + and never had corrosion problems. Maybe yours were in an exposed position. Only problems have been discolouring when in bright sunlight.

I am not sure about 2 wire systems but was taught you should not use stranded cables on door entry or telephones. Can cause echoes maybe ' The Hall effect' ( but maybe wrong)

when you have an 'outdoor panel' it flipping shouldn't corrode due to water ingress, and the systems I've seen weren't particularly exposed. 

You may have a point about stranded cable, but the systems I've run in have all been relatively short and whole point about digital is that it shouldn't suffer from interference. Maybe I just got lucky. 

This panel is within an inside lobby ,  there are one or two keyholders who open the outer door then theres a wrought iron door/gate  on the entry system so no corrosion problems .  I've had this with other systems , constant use of the same buttons and they crap out . 

I've had a similar thing with alarm panels ...after a while the four buttons of the user's code show signs of wear ...so is that a 24 - to- 1 chance of getting the right combination ?