Cable Types

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am putting power and lights in to a small workshop and summer house. It is 30 meters from the house and will have 5 lights and 8 double sockets. After some research I think I will need 6mm SWA 2core cable to connect to the house supply but I am not sure. can anyone help. I will be getting a Part P spark in to certify all of this, but hope someone can help.

Cheers

i doubt you will get anyone to certify your work, since there are very few who could actually do that anyway.

and were going to need a lot more detail than '5 lights and 8 sockets'. are these 5 lights with a 4w LED in or 5x 400w metal halides? 8 double sockets with a few low powered stuff like computers or a welder in each? what about earthing type?

If you have a part p spark on call then perhaps give them a call and ask them to visit for a consultation, they'd be best placed to advise as they could see what we can't?

I have an 8x12 garden shed fed with 10mm swa and separate localised PME on a C40 with 100mA TD,

my mate has a proper 30x20 garage/workshop with a 6mm swa on a B32, from his normal split load 30mA CU,

so, as has been suggested,

too many variables to work anything from the limited info provided, or indeed, from an internet forum.

You have to use the offcuts up somewhere.
:D

14 double sockets, 2 x 16a radials,

TV point

sat point

internet point

CCTV point

outside 16amp commando [for the welder, cant be welding inside a wooden shed,!  :eek:   ] C16 radial

2 x 4' flourescents

1 x 4' led workbench light

1 x 8w maintained em fitting for just finding something and  in case I throw the trip

2nd little shed feed off a B16

all on DP RCBOs, sub fed direct from a C40 on the non protected side of main board, 100mA TD side,

yep, too much stuff lying about leads a person into a tendency just to use it to lose it,

so, as can be seen,

its deffo NOT a one size fits all,

and, overkill, is a B'strd to work with,!!!!!!!

I am putting power and lights in to a small workshop and summer house. It is 30 meters from the house and will have 5 lights and 8 double sockets. After some research I think I will need 6mm SWA 2core cable to connect to the house supply but I am not sure. can anyone help. I will be getting a Part P spark in to certify all of this, but hope someone can help.

Cheers

Ask him/her is my advice - that is IF you can find a mug to sign off and take responsibility for your work that is!