Gard Tec Cpx Alarm Issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon, I've just moved into a 3 storey building and have noticed issues with the alarm system straight away. The redcot bell box wasn't lit so I opened the main box to see the following...

Battery missing

Keypad cables disconnected (now reconnected and fixed this)

Bell box bell trigger disconnected

Bell box strobe disconnected

I factory rest the keypad and input a new code after a few minutes the keypad will say confirm pin, I confirm then it will ask again and again and again.

The main box is a gard tec PR5348

The keypad is a eurosec

So to recap the alarm keypad keeps alarming, I presume the previous owner removed the cables for the bell box to stop it going off as they couldn't resolve the issue

Hi Richard,

My question is why am I constantly getting " enter code check" after a few minutes of putting my code in.

Does anyone have schematics I can use to check the rest of the wiring, as I've done the keypad just not sure about the bell boxes, risco wireless receiver and sensors around the floors.

My question is why am I constantly getting " enter code check" after a few minutes of putting my code in.
It has a permanent error, which is why the previous owner down powered it.

For the cost and hassle you would do better off buying something else and starting from scratch, and stay away from risco.

From some print outs I've found looks like it's been powered down since 2010, the risco wireless receiver is wired in by 4 wires and I don't have the fobs for it so can I just remove this without an issue? Also can I just replace the main unit to fix the error or would you just recommend I replace everything with wireless?

mixing makes will probably not work on a wireless system, I doubt the components would 'handshake' properly. replacing with same make may work - call technical helpline to confirm.

q1 do you really need an alarm (bell box does more to deter thieves than anything else)?

q2 did you replace the battery?

Tried a battery I was given but not holding charge, got a new battery on order for delivery tomorrow.

The close we moved into every house has the same alarm system, the bell box is a redcot which flashes top bottom constantly 24/7 on every house bar mine showing the system isn't powered on.

The estate is newish but the area I would prefer a working system as I have a home office, UAV gear as well as photographer and urbex equipment I would prefer to keep safe.

As I've only moved in 4 days ago I don't really want to bother the new neighbours with removing alarm covers to check the wiring

You really are "flogging a dead horse" with what you have.

A BT engineer once told me this: I spent an hour and a half trying to find a fault on a cable. In the end i gave up and ran in a new cable, it took me 45 minutes.

Point being, yes you want to fix what you have, but you have to know when to stand back and weigh up the options. You will get a new battery, then a new this, then a new that, try one of those, no the blue ones.......

And for what its worth, you can't mix and match radio kit. (Its rubbish and expensive too)

The battery I can reuse to power my fpv UAV gear, will just strip out the installed kit and buy a new system, probably better than this 10yr old unit

you could buy a complete decentish system for under £300

and,

you know you have something that will,  just work.

yep, wireless,

I had a wireless system I bought for my shed, had it for about 6 months, kept intending to fit it, then I had a brain freeze and thought, F it, and ran a proper cable into the shed,

wireless is never anything other than a DIY bodge tbh.

and, it will do nothing but give you grief ,