DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Hotel In Single Phase

gozzer66

Hello. Ive recently been working in a hotel in N Wales, was asked to look into why a 12kw water heater was tripping the mcb, it was 32 amp run in 6mm. Told him to change to 10mm and 50amp etc. When i looked more closely at the supply intake, discovered that the whole 5 bed hotel is single phase and protected by a 60amp main fuse. There are electric showers in all the rooms, electric cooker and all the usual ring mains and lights etc. I advised changing the water heater to 7.5 kw and looking into getting 3 phase brought to the hotel. They reckon that they have been there 10 years and never had a problem. The main fuse seal has been renewed ?when, the old seal is broken and left on top of meter. I was going to look inside main fuse carrier to see what is in there. Does anyone think this is an odd situation or have any thoughts.

Diversity is king.

but if all 5 rooms take a shower at the same time, while the breakfast is cooking in the kitchen.......

Note the make of CU. If it's handling that without catching fire, then THAT is what we should all be fitting, not this metal clad stuff with the same carp fittings inside.

not the slightest bit unusual. Good? maybe not, but I've seen far bigger places on a single phase before

I would be more concerned that the breakers are CEF!

Just saying

probably why none have every tripped. and a M20 bolt is slow blow...

probably why none have every tripped. and a M20 bolt is slow blow...

Coarse or Fine thread......Could make a difference

Archived