Running Radio / Aerial Cable Through A Switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john p

Reaction score
I have an animal grazing project that runs on an energizer sending a radio signal that passes through a cable underground (the cattle wear collars that beep and then shock them when in close proximity to it).

The grazing area can be made into difference arrangements (shapes and sizes) via manholes and connector blocks.

Connector blocks aren't ideal and I'd like to if possible use IP rated light switches (1G 2W) inside the manholes instead of connector blocks. Am i going to suffer huge amounts of loss and interference going through a switching arrangement like this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Domestic light switches are not intended for this. It may work, it may not.

What sort of cable and what frequency are we taking about here?

I would think in terms of using proper RF connectors, e.g. something like BNC so you can easily plug the cables together in different configurations.

it will probably work, just make sure to use a reasonable quality product and it might sound daft, operate the switch a dozen or so times to 'bed it in' and get good contact

It's a coax style cable, the system is french and they don't go into to much detail about specifics to do with frequencys.

The problem with BNC style is that the cables come in from all different angles and need to be connected inside an IP rated junction box, with rigid connectors on the cables i doubt the angles would allow for them to be connected using a proper aerial switch (which would of been the ideal choice).

I think it may just be a case of giving it a go and seeing what happens.

From my old days as a radio amateur we used to have changeover relays for 144MHz which probably had a conductor path of around 15mm. On that basis I think you will get away with it! If I remember rightly MK switches tend to have a smaller footprint - normally don't like this but could play to your advantage in this case. Denmans do an IP enclosure that will take normal domestic accessories. As Binky says - make sure you connect the screens - but also make sure you leave the she shortest amount of core conductor as you can get away with exposed. Good luck!