Power And Lights In Shed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to put power and lights in to my new shed. It is 30 meters from the house and will need 40 meters of cable to reach from the main supply under the stairs to the shed fuse board. It will run under the floor pass through wall to the garden, be pinned to the garden wall to the shed and the in through the shed wall to the fuse box. I will have four lights and about 8 double sockets in the shed, and have been told that 6mmSWA 2core is what I need, some advice on the cable and thing to look out for would be appreciated.

Cheers

Captain Newtron

I am wanting to put power and lights in to my new shed. It is 30 meters from the house and will need 40 meters of cable to reach from the main supply under the stairs to the shed fuse board. It will run under the floor pass through wall to the garden, be pinned to the garden wall to the shed and the in through the shed wall to the fuse box. I will have four lights and about 8 double sockets in the shed, and have been told that 6mmSWA 2core is what I need, some advice on the cable and thing to look out for would be appreciated.

Cheers

Captain Newtron

Ask your sparky?

Hi

TO expand on Andy's post :

Unless you actually want to provide a simply ludicrous amount of power availability to cover every possibility (e.g. a 2KW electric heater in each of your 2x8 sockets) you need to make a realistic assessment of the total power (Sockets and Lights and hot tubs etc.) you actually need in the shed now and in the foreseeable future.  The cable calculation then needs to consider voltage drop too as there are regulations about how much it can fall under load.

On a long cable this often means limiting the maximum current flowing in the SWA cable to considerably less than it's 'sticker' current capacity and permanently enforcing that situation with protective breakers at each end.  Earthing also needs careful and proper consideration as do the regulations concerning installing new circuits and how you are going to to test the installation.

I very strongly recommend getting a qualified and properly equipped electrician in to do it (and that's not the one who said '6mmSWA' unseen)

HTH

Ok

I get it, not for the DIYer then. What about the names of any Part P in the Cheshire West and Chester self certification scheme to get in contact with to price  up the job and advise me. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

ooh 2core armoured, NICE !

No EARTH then.
What do you mean "no earth"?

Its SWA, of course you can have an earth with a 2 core, the SWA can act as the earth / cpc / bonding conductor, within a few very limited constraints.

It is VERY rare that the SWA of an armoured is non-compliant under the regs.

no steps, you have to paint it with corrosion inhibitor first :slap

I'm still a fan of 2 core, it's cheaper and easier to work with. Confused me when I first saw a whole system done that way though.