Just Thinking .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
 Say you do a job for a little old lady  .

Bill comes to £100    but you need to add income tax  and VAT so ........

Bill                            100.00  

Income tax                 20.00               

=    120.00

VAT                            24.00 

TOTAL                   £ 144.00 

Little old lady pays you £100   & the government creams off £44 .00 

Just saying .

I'm not VAT registered. So I don't collect VAT as an unpaid tax collector.

I earn so little now and the tax threshold is now so high before you start paying income tax, that for probably 90% of my jobs I don't pay any tax.  So I don't collect tax as an unpaid tax collector.

Why are you adding income tax to your bill?

and don't forget that HM Gov takes NI too!
You do the job & think "That is worth £100  to me "  

Enter £100 into your accounts & you pay  20% income tax on it   so when you thought you'd earned £100  you only got  £80 .

I have a lower rate for small jobs which doesn't allow for income tax .  Normal rate for quoting allows for a living wage after tax deduction . 

I forgot the NI  because I don't pay it anymore .    So , yes, even more creamed off. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You do the job & think "That is worth £100  to me "  

Enter £100 into your accounts & you pay  20% income tax on it   so when you thought you'd earned £100  you only got  £80 .

I forgot the NI  because I don't pay it anymore .    

Thats all well and good if you do the pricing afterwards and have a decent customer...... however with some of the cash monkeys around doing quotes at high prices could leave you without any work to do!

thats sort of how I look at it Deke,

I work out how much I need for the job, and add 30% on top for what I know some pen pusher will have off me one way or another.

Wow! I can't believe you take everybody else's wages into account for your job!!!

Then add it to your bill! Your prices must be on par with Pimlico ???

If you sit and calculate all the taxes and stealth taxes that you pay plus the costs involved just to do your job you'd go on benefits and have a quieter life.

Wow! I can't believe you take everybody else's wages into account for your job!!!

Then add it to your bill! Your prices must be on par with Pimlico ???

If you sit and calculate all the taxes and stealth taxes that you pay plus the costs involved just to do your job you'd go on benefits and have a quieter life.
its the same as everything else,

its simply a running cost,

if you need 500£ a week to live on, then you need to 'make' more than 500£,

if you only charge 500£ a week you will soon be in trouble,

think about all the shiney new start ups you see in the wholesalers that are gone in a year because they had been charging employed rates.

I get scared every time I work out my overheads, vans, diesel, insurance, rent, phones, broadband, registrations, wages, holidays, NI, VAT,  FFS just can't do less than £30 an hour and make a living. And now the thieving barsteward Tories have upped the tax on insurance - kept that quiet during the elections!

I get scared every time I work out my overheads, vans, diesel, insurance, rent, phones, broadband, registrations, wages, holidays, NI, VAT,  FFS just can't do less than £30 an hour and make a living. And now the thieving barsteward Tories have upped the tax on insurance - kept that quiet during the elections!
Hum.... exactly how much does that add to your costs over a year - not much I think.

The real question is 'how much do you really need to live on?' If we didn't have to contribute to everybody else then how much would you really need?
thats just what I mean,

I know how much I actually need, so I put 30% on top to pay for what they will steal from me to pay the dregs that dont want to work for a living, that includes the penpushers that are sitting behind desks trying to justify their jobs,

not the point, they are taxing money that has already been taxed, and as my insurances are in the several £k mark we are talking about a weeks wages for one of the lads

It is the point - HM Gov needs the tax revenue - either directly by putting up income tax to 30% or by raising indirect taxes....

I prefer the indirect taxes as then everybody who pays taxes contributes....... if income tax was increased - then more cash monkeys would appear, reducing the tax take.

I have to have insurance, it's not by choice. Question is how much extra is all the admin on stealth taxation, it's costing many millions. When the poll tax was introduced the figure was 3% extra in admin. Now i know  a lot is computerised these days, but even 1% on 514,427  million (last years tax revenue) is a **** load of money in anyones book. What should be done is close down the tax loopholes. As for cash monkeys, they don't pay the stealth taxes either half the time, certainly not on insurance.

But what I really dislike is the dishonesty, oh we've given you an income tax break, oh look we've recovered it in stealth taxes elsewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum.... exactly how much does that add to your costs over a year - not much I think.
When i last worked out all my costs being self emplyed NOT including diesel and van repayments,  

I had calculated a cost of around £20 every day i work.