Swa Cable Continuity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So when using 2 core steel wired armoured swa cable, what would be the most appropriate method of testing continuity of the cpc to the distribution circuit?

An electrician . . . ?

In some earthing scenarios there may be no direct connection at the far end

I'm training to be a electrician.. and the swa is supplying a detached workshop I'm testing the installation I need to no how you would test continuity of the cocktail to the distribution board?

Cocktail.. #cpc

I'm training to be a electrician.. and the swa is supplying a detached workshop I'm testing the installation I need to no how you would test continuity of the cocktail to the distribution board?

Cocktail.. #cpc
Has the training mentioned R1+R2?

But as already mentioned, while it's good to know it tests okay, you very well may not be using the exported earth any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for replys I'm actually testing myself the question is based on a design and the question is as follows. The supply to the detached workshop has been installed using two core steel wire armoured cable. Describe the most appropriate method of testing continuity of cocktail to the distribution circuit?

#Not actually testing myself.

#not testing #cpc dam predictive text..

if this is homework, then you would get a much better response trying to answer the question yourself, then someone will tell you where you went wrong. simply asking for the answers isnt going to get you much help, and if you can only pass tests etc being spoon fed then you are not going to be any use when you 'qualify'

Ah we are doing your homework for you.  :innocent

If they are expecting you to answer that, then they will almost certainly taught you one or more methods of testing that. So look back over your course notes for some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it's not homework it's a assignment it's level 3 a level on design while I have covered some of this on the level 2 what I'm covering now is alot different I have done my level 2 intense over 7 weeks and just started my level 3 the same over 7 weeks while I do appreciate your help I don't want to be bloody spoon fed I'm asking for guidance as I wasn't sure we havnt covered much at all on swa apart from installation of a outside socket using swa on my final exam during level 2. And testing we was shown I don't believe covered continuity. Now forgive me if I'm wrong but this is a electrician forum so don't be surprised when people ask for information!! And thank you kerching I do understand what continuity is I was just wasn't sure how you actually test continuity on this installation if any body could guide me through this it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Look up R1, R2, R1+R2, Wander lead.

Any or all of those will lead you to an answer.

R2 is what you are trying to measure, and it's no different measuring the R2 of a SWA as it is the R2 of any other type of cable.  The value you get will be different to other types of cable, and you have to refer to some tables in the regs book to see if it's good enough or not.

hmmm you are suffering from short course syndrome, ie half trained and relieved of much money. Buy the regs if you haven't done so already and get Guidance Notes 1 and 3 or something like this

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BKITCslash3.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmNuuBRDTu5rDjr2kxJsBEiQAWlm6UsqgzDqNd.

you will need to read a lot to compensate for the inadequacies of a short course, and spend a lot of time on here of course. I will advise you to be careful how you post, most of the regulars here are 4 year time served and aren't always patient with short course 'electricians' with good reason, ie they firkin care about our industry and safety of others. Please ask questions before tackling a job you don't understand or feel fully competent to undertake to avoid getting a drumming. Treat the regulars with respect and you will get a lot of help. It is also worth searching previous threads, little new stuff appears on the forum that hasn't been answered previously. As you are learning it is best to pose a question and try to present an answer, as mentioned above we don't like spoon feeding as you seem to appreciate already, but you will get most help when making an effort yourself, including some quite intensive arguments and opinions delving deep into BS7671 and its vagueries...

Thank you for your advice and kind words of wisdom binky I like the way you put it spot on..short course syndrome your not wrong! if I hadn't already invested so much already I would certainly have done things differently i would not advise these courses at all..none the less I'm trying to make the best of it. I don't sit on my arsenal all night I'm doing constant study/revision even finding my own study's etc I'm commited to learning an making the best of a bad situation i just stumbled across this site amongst many I've visited in the last couple months an thought I could gain some help and advice to be honest the college I've used are dreadful so I try to make the most of my spare time gaining as much information else where. Hope I havnt pissed off too many regulars on here an i will use your metheod of asking questions in future. Thank again.

Is that the most recent inspection and testing book binky? So far I have obvs my level 3 book aswell as the regs book and the onsite guide but that book looks handy thank you.

Those are wise words.

It's so common to hear the attitude that I have done a short course so I know it all.   How refreshing to hear you know the limitations and are trying to put things right by learning some more.