Job Quotes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysparks79

Reaction score
Hi all. Starting out on my own and was just interested in what sort of quotes you guys would put in for these two jobs. First is removing three ceiling roses and fitting a new fitting about a metre and a half away. Its in a restaurant so floor above is used too. Has exposed floorboards as finished floor do I'm going to pull some up to co next up new length of cable for new fitting. Do a minor works cert test as applicable and job done (in an ideal world) second job is fitting 3 external security lights to a house and in garage fit 2 push stop isolators fir a lathe and milling machine. Also with regards to the last one, the has a garbage CU already in place, should i replace b type to c type mcb and could i then use the existing ring to feed the lathe switches going via FCU or have these switches got to be on their own dedicated circuit? Customer also told me how the set up is at the moment when lathe switched on the lights flicker, any ideas on that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance to everyone

jay

Welcome to the forum, these type of questions are relative to your location and proximity to the job, overheads etc. the only practical answer is labour + materials + travel costs + any other overheads you have = the price quoted. Anything less and you will probably end up working at a loss.  

Doc H

The light job may not be as simple as you think.  Bare floor boards as finished floor, if you are lifting them you must do so without damaging them. That's somewhere between hard and impossible.

Consider a maintenance free junction box and thread the cable all from below.  After all there will be a hole left in the ceiling from the old fitting that will have to be made good.

Ok, thanks for the advice anything i can pick up helps. Was really after sort of a rough guide on pricing specific ir similar jobs. I'm south in Hertfordshire if that helps at all. Thanks again

jay

Good idea, according to customer there is just a void between the ceiling and floor above so may well be able to thread it through.

cheers for that prodave

If the machines are in a business then it's not quite as simple as just fitting e-stops.

As far as prices go, for the others, work out the materials required, the cost of those, add your profit margin.

Work out how long you think you will take to do that job.

Work out the rate you are going to charge based upon your overhead costs and what you need to earn personally, make an allowance for profit and when you have no work.

From that you can get the quote for the customer.

Great thanks for all the help. No the machines are in a private houses garage. Small lathe and milling machine for use as a hobby only.

If you are starting out, just put a price in and if you get the job, and it takes longer than expected, simply finish the job and learn from it - cutting corners will only bit you in the arse and you won't get a recommendation!

Jobs always take longer than you expect - and far longer than the customer thinks!