How To Remove Screwless Switch-Plate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamonkey

Reaction score
Hello,

Have just noticed that the living-room light switch is sparking behind the switch-plate. (It only doe's so when the light switch is in the off position). It's a screwless switch-plate, just a large square plastic switch toggle almost as large as the switch-plate it's on. I want to remove from the wall to check why switch is sparking, but do not want to damage switch plate while removing.    Would anyone tell me how that sort of switch is removed?

And be aware one of the wires may be left loose in the wall box.

Just thinking it might be one with an internal neon as switch finder illumination and the neon has had it- otherwise sparking when off deserves some careful investigation.

Thanks for replies. Tried a screwdriver in the small notch, it was no trouble to then prise it off. Inside I found two neons (in series with each other) wired directly across the switch, lit when switch turned off, (and unlit when on).

Don't see the point of having neons, they are behind the rocker and do not act as switch indicators. (The reason I noticed green flashing initially was because very faint green flashing where back of switch meets wall, something which would not normally be noticeable). Also, why two neons in series rather than just one?

They are switch finders Make the switch glow in the dark (when off). They tend to Flicket when worn out

You can just disconnect and remove them both if you have no use for them