electrical separation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning, just got up and spent my obligatory time in the bathroom. Started thinking about the shaver socket. (How sad is that? College has a lot to answer for.) The 240v side is, I know, separated from the supply via a transformer and therefore is not connected in anyway to earth so I can safely touch taps and radiators with wet hands without fear of electrocution. But what danger does it pose if it were to fall from my grasp and land in the water surely it still has 240v and if I were to inadvertently fish it out I would get a shock, or are we back to the bird on the wire scenario?

Just a thought

if what was to fall in the water? the shaver or the socket?

I the shaver falls into water, there may be current flowing between lives inside the shaver (if water gets that far), but since its still not earthed, its back to the bird on wire

If the socket falls into the water ...

it means the wall is falling down... probably an earthquake?

get out quick!!! :eek:

I think you would probably be crushed to death before you got electrocuted.

other than that there is No path back to the supply ..

the only voltage & current in the secondary is what can be induced though the winding of the transformer..

Magnetically isolated from the supply. ;)

Morning, just got up and spent my obligatory time in the bathroom. Started thinking about the shaver socket. (How sad is that? College has a lot to answer for.) The 240v side is, I know, separated from the supply via a transformer and therefore is not connected in anyway to earth so I can safely touch taps and radiators with wet hands without fear of electrocution. But what danger does it pose if it were to fall from my grasp and land in the water surely it still has 240v and if I were to inadvertently fish it out I would get a shock, or are we back to the bird on the wire scenario?Just a thought
Not meaning to be picky Blushing remember in exams and forms to use 230v Blushing or some twit will pick you up on it (oh I just did, twit Blushing)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you manage to come into conntact with beth the live conductors on the secondry side of the transfomer you will get a shock 230 volts CJS

If you manage to come into conntact with beth the live conductors on the secondry side of the transfomer you will get a shock 230 volts CJS
never met beth , whats she like?

If you did manage to drop it into the sink full of water , would'nt u unplug it from the point first anyway , seems like isolation would be the way to go first just to be a 1000.000.000 % sure ...