DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Bending Conduit

apprentice87

Question

Hi All,

Just designing a tubular steel frame for something.. How difficult, from a physical point of view, is bending 32mm conduit?? I have a good bender, one of these..

http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/keyword-is-RECORD/product-is-211891

Only got it the other day, not used it yet, would a load of 90 degree bends be seriously hard work, as in have a hernia and nearly break the bender, or not too bad????

john....

When I was an apprentice 30 years ago one of my first jobs was to bend 32 mm galvanised conduit round concrete beams in an underground carpark. The bender lay flat on a table and had a huge screw which look a bit like a corkscrew,it took two of us to turn this and gradually it would form a 90 or an offset depending which the journeyman needed,we did not learn much about bending conduit but we grew to hate the designers who came up with these ideas.I passed the carpark the other day and yes the conduit is still there with BT multicores running thru them ,thank God for plastic,

jD

Good luck with that then

You will prob end up with a couple of lumps in your neck....those will be your 'nads

Heating the tube may help, as will fastening the bender down to something solid ...ooh err Mr Barrymore...and shove a piece of tube over the arm ato extend it, then SWING like a Gibbon

Not much fun then?? Might use some smaller stuff, say 25 or 28mm...

john..

Key clamp tubes? quite large may be easier to bend with the right stuff perhaps? but I wouldnt know as we buy in all the corners and angles.

:)

I find bending 25mm steel conduit hard enough these days - never mind 32 !. My only suggestion is that you get a second man - a strong one - to help when you do the bending.

There are quite a few benders on the News nowadays

You really need to go hydraulic if above 25mm unless you are equiped with biceps like A Schwarzeneger Esq

chain block from handle to base...

Or....take on anapprentice

Get him to bend the conduit

Pot the apprentice when finished

You think I am joking?...i have seen firms 'take on' starters then slot them when the nasty bits have been done

chain block from handle to base...

And gently bend the bender.....

wait 1000 years then get this robot to do it?

220px-Bender_Rodriguez.png

I was gonna say you need a massive bender!

And if you get a bit moist.....post-11861-0-49568200-1440701571_thumb.j

Imremember seeing loads of boxes of these piled up outside a clients staff canteen

In those days they were called "Benders mate".......shortened to 'Barrymore'

Hmm, 25mm it is then. When i was a kid i used to watch people bend 3/4 steam barrel, [obviously in a bender!] but cannot remember how difficult it was for them. Remember the ratchet die stocks were huge though!!

How do i post a picture??

john..

You have a 32 mm former then Apprentti ?  

If you can do it with 25mm then do so ..........32 would be a nightmare TBH.

ive got one of them. or at least similar... made light work of 50mm dia steel

Hi All,

Funny enough i did make a hydraulic bender many years ago!! Not got it now, but someone came me one like in the picture a while back. They are ok ish, but you will not be making 90 degree bends with one, apart from in the smallest size, 1/2 NB as the formers do not permit that.

My Record bender has got the formers for 15, 16, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32 and 42mm It will do 180 degree bends if you want too!! plus bend up or down.. Eh?? Say you wanted to do a 90 degree bend to give a straight bit a foot long, then another one. [bend] You could not as the first bit would hit the bender legs. Ok reverse it and bend it upwards!!!

I will post a photo of my first project with it. I have a generator here, but the steel "cube" frame it is in has seen better days. I am going to bend one up [a new one] from one single full length of tube so it only has one weld in the centre of one side!

john..

And if you get a bit moist..... image.jpg

Imremember seeing loads of boxes of these piled up outside a clients staff canteen

In those days they were called "Benders mate".......shortened to 'Barrymore'

I worked in a pub long ago and they had those benders & on the back there is the benders hot line should you be experiencing problems with your benders! :slap

sorry for going OT I look forward to seeing the completed item :)

Rich coming from you :slap

Monkey can bend 32mm by hand, has anyone seen his arms ? :pmsl1:

Well, would you look at that. Blueduck mentions a massive bender and sure enough one shows up

You've been very quiet lately boss, not like you, I don't like it when youre quiet, it means your planning something

Hi All,

Funny enough i did make a hydraulic bender many years ago!! Not got it now, but someone came me one like in the picture a while back. They are ok ish, but you will not be making 90 degree bends with one, apart from in the smallest size, 1/2 NB as the formers do not permit that.

My Record bender has got the formers for 15, 16, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32 and 42mm It will do 180 degree bends if you want too!! plus bend up or down.. Eh?? Say you wanted to do a 90 degree bend to give a straight bit a foot long, then another one. [bend] You could not as the first bit would hit the bender legs. Ok reverse it and bend it upwards!!!

I will post a photo of my first project with it. I have a generator here, but the steel "cube" frame it is in has seen better days. I am going to bend one up [a new one] from one single full length of tube so it only has one weld in the centre of one side!

john..

Could you not hydraulically power your (manual) Record bender with a small ram?

EDIT: I have btw a PDF; "Model Engineer 1956 Tube Bender - G S  Bates". A bit smaller in scale that what you're doing but principle must be the same? I'll send it to you.

Could you not hydraulically power your (manual) Record bender with a small ram?

See Pache....he usually has a hand in these things

See Pache....he usually has a hand in these things

Read it once, thought "Why's he bringing Apache into it?". Read it a second time - slow realisation.......brow furrowed and then on third reading.......PMSL!  :Salute

Yes...subtlety is one of my better points...I could have said that ."I was Ovine a laugh" but that may be a Shep too Baaaa!

Yes...subtlety is one of my better points...I could have said that ."I was Ovine a laugh" but that may be a Shep too Baaaa!

You'd have been lambasted for that................

ewe certainly could have

Archived