Bending Conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just designing a tubular steel frame for something.. How difficult, from a physical point of view, is bending 32mm conduit?? I have a good bender, one of these..

http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/keyword-is-RECORD/product-is-211891

Only got it the other day, not used it yet, would a load of 90 degree bends be seriously hard work, as in have a hernia and nearly break the bender, or not too bad????

john....

I find bending 25mm steel conduit hard enough these days - never mind 32 !. My only suggestion is that you get a second man - a strong one - to help when you do the bending.

wait 1000 years then get this robot to do it?

220px-Bender_Rodriguez.png

Hmm, 25mm it is then. When i was a kid i used to watch people bend 3/4 steam barrel, [obviously in a bender!] but cannot remember how difficult it was for them. Remember the ratchet die stocks were huge though!!

How do i post a picture??

john..

Hi All,

Funny enough i did make a hydraulic bender many years ago!! Not got it now, but someone came me one like in the picture a while back. They are ok ish, but you will not be making 90 degree bends with one, apart from in the smallest size, 1/2 NB as the formers do not permit that.

My Record bender has got the formers for 15, 16, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32 and 42mm It will do 180 degree bends if you want too!! plus bend up or down.. Eh?? Say you wanted to do a 90 degree bend to give a straight bit a foot long, then another one. [bend] You could not as the first bit would hit the bender legs. Ok reverse it and bend it upwards!!!

I will post a photo of my first project with it. I have a generator here, but the steel "cube" frame it is in has seen better days. I am going to bend one up [a new one] from one single full length of tube so it only has one weld in the centre of one side!

john..

And if you get a bit moist..... image.jpg

Imremember seeing loads of boxes of these piled up outside a clients staff canteen

In those days they were called "Benders mate".......shortened to 'Barrymore'
I worked in a pub long ago and they had those benders & on the back there is the benders hot line should you be experiencing problems with your benders! :slap

sorry for going OT I look forward to seeing the completed item :)

Canoeboy said:
Rich coming from you :slap

Monkey can bend 32mm by hand, has anyone seen his arms ? :pmsl1:
Well, would you look at that. Blueduck mentions a massive bender and sure enough one shows up

You've been very quiet lately boss, not like you, I don't like it when youre quiet, it means your planning something

Hi All,

Funny enough i did make a hydraulic bender many years ago!! Not got it now, but someone came me one like in the picture a while back. They are ok ish, but you will not be making 90 degree bends with one, apart from in the smallest size, 1/2 NB as the formers do not permit that.

My Record bender has got the formers for 15, 16, 20, 22, 25, 28, 32 and 42mm It will do 180 degree bends if you want too!! plus bend up or down.. Eh?? Say you wanted to do a 90 degree bend to give a straight bit a foot long, then another one. [bend] You could not as the first bit would hit the bender legs. Ok reverse it and bend it upwards!!!

I will post a photo of my first project with it. I have a generator here, but the steel "cube" frame it is in has seen better days. I am going to bend one up [a new one] from one single full length of tube so it only has one weld in the centre of one side!

john..
Could you not hydraulically power your (manual) Record bender with a small ram?

EDIT: I have btw a PDF; "Model Engineer 1956 Tube Bender - G S  Bates". A bit smaller in scale that what you're doing but principle must be the same? I'll send it to you.

Last edited by a moderator: