Throw Out Your Certificate Books !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the NICEIC  they do not comply with the 3rd amend.  version of the Regs .

So, yet another fecking waste of  money ,  I have a pile of the fecking things that have been superceeded before being used up .

Seems everyone in the trade I speak to , is sick & tired of being made mugs of by the likes of  IET  , NIC  & their cohorts in rip-em-off technology .

Not quite true Deke, I'm guessing this is following on from the NIC "newsletter" that has been emailed out.

If you read the words very, carefully, then, obviously they are correct.

However, the certs are still legitimate for use on installations designed prior to Amd3.

In the same way it is still legitimate to use 16th Ed. certs for jobs designed under the 16th that are now coming up for completion.

just print your own as and when required... the new certs didnt happen overnight, so when it came to change, i only had about 5 unused MWC and 1-2 EIC / EICR, although some have been kept as the job was started before the change so they will be used

NIC have made it simple enough to do it digital.. it costs a bit more but I'm tempted to move over from analogue to save my fingers from all that box ticking...

"is the cable secure"

"are the cables in a box"

"are there any exposed conducors"

"have you been in the loft and are there any bats nesting?"

"is the consumer unit on fire"

"did you call trumpton?"

"is RR fit?"

:)

the model forms are editable - for the stuff that doesnt change (like your details, test kit details etc) you can save the text onto the PDF, then print it already partially filled in.

Tbh I am still using AMD2 Certs as PIRForm doesn't do AMD 3 Certs very well!

Most customers don't know what a cert is for, let alone know which version is current.

The IET should be shot at dawn

The

NIC have made it simple enough to do it digital.. it costs a bit more but I'm tempted to move over from analogue to save my fingers from all that box ticking...

"is the cable secure"

"are the cables in a box"

"are there any exposed conducors"

"have you been in the loft and are there any bats nesting?"

"is the consumer unit on fire"

"did you call trumpton?"

"is RR fit?"

:)
£1 per cert cannot be bad. Just put it on the invoice as I do at £1.50

Draft copies are free,,, you only pay when you finalise them.

However if you're only charging £1.50 for a very then you're missing out on the £3 odd notification fees
I probably notify less than 5 jobs a year.

if, like me, you are a domestic installer with the niceic, you can still use the purple minor works paper certs. You just have to change line/line to live/live (if appropriate, most of the time this is not tested on an existing installation) and combine the line/neutral, line/earth and neutral/earth boxes with a note in the limitations box that combined tests were done. Also, add a note in the comments box that any rcd test button was tested satisfactorily. The new risk assessment box is irrelevant for domestic installers.

I just got off the phone to the niceic tech people, they agreed the domestic mweic differences between amd1 and 3 were minimal and that the above could be done, but that their official recommendation is to purchase amd 3 mw certs. Plus they are red, just like approved contractors ones, only with a dis logo at the top.