Running Cables In Outhouse.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
hi guys been a while. I have recently moved house and there is an old coal shed/outhouse. we are currently renovating this into a hair salon for the mrs. we have put on a new roof and I have to start running electrics for lighting and power etc. the roof that has been laid has beams going from side to side and chipboard laying across them. on one side there is a 2x1 batten running from end to end and on the other side there is thinner batten in order to give the roof a drop from one side to the other for drainage.. here's the thing. the regs say you can't drill holes in roof beams so I can't run them that way. BUT because of the 2x1 batten there is a gap between beams and roof. can I run them along this gap from beam to beam? the only reason I ask is I want to use this outhouse wiring job as one of my two verified jobs to get registered with napit and so has to comply with the regs. I'm currently not in the trade so therefore the jobs that need doing on my house and some work at a friends house will be the jobs I use as my examples of work. cheers guys.

I don't see what the big problem is really. If you are unsure where to run your cables do you really believe you are ready to be registered with a scheme? This is pretty basic stiluff mate.

What size are these trees that go from side to side? (Out of interest)

As steps says batten across these timbers with some 2"x2" and then you have ready made cable routes.

Failing that you've a 6" zone around top of walls?

Perhaps need some more practical understanding before going alone if that's you intention?

What current draw have you planned for for this salon? Hair dryers, heat tongs, head driers, possibly hot water?