Help Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashq

Reaction score
Hi people,

Ive completed the 2330 level course at college and passed all my exams and my am2, i was also doing the 2356 level 3 nvq but due to the fact i mainly work on domestic houses i having trouble finishing it, hopefully i will, but i was wondering if i cant what im qualified to do or limited to?? and what other short courses i could do without it, ie 17th edition, testing amd inspection??

Firstly well done. You are doing well. Does your employer have an office or a store that you could do a nice install for him? Bit of tray, trunking and conduit??

I would not have thought you would need to do a 17th edition so soon after completing the 2330.

Get some experience under your belt before doing the T&I because you will need it for that aspect of your career.

Hi people,

Ive completed the 2330 level course at college and passed all my exams and my am2, i was also doing the 2356 level 3 nvq but due to the fact i mainly work on domestic houses i having trouble finishing it, hopefully i will, but i was wondering if i cant what im qualified to do or limited to?? and what other short courses i could do without it, ie 17th edition, testing amd inspection??

You may find a number of employers ask for the 17th as a separate qualification to the 2330, 2356 - you only have to look at the job ads. Well worth getting and not difficult to pass tbh. I have heard " I don't need to do the 17th as I've done my 2330 that's taught to the 17th..........". On that basis as the 2330 incorporates some testing and inspection such people I guess would gain no benefit in the 2394 & 95!

Definitely though look at doing the 2394 & 95 if you can.

17th electrician £9p/h

2391 electrician £12p/h

JIB Gold sparks £15p/h

I never did 17th when I did 2330 didn't see the point but soon realised.... Didn't bother with the classes and just went to the exam and got 94% or something  silly as It were really easy!

17th electrician £9p/h

2391 electrician £12p/h

JIB Gold sparks £15p/h

I never did 17th when I did 2330 didn't see the point but soon realised.... Didn't bother with the classes and just went to the exam and got 94% or something  silly as It were really easy!
I certainly would not pay a 17th bloke £9 PH.

Also what is the difference between a 2391 sparks and a gold card sparks?

thanks for the info guys, but am i limited to what i can do, if i dont finish my 2356?? if i have my 2330 level 3, 2391, and maybe 17th edition can i do all the same things as if i had my nvq? I have abit of experience working on site and in commercial but we hardly do it and since you can't complete 2356 of just domestic, i dont know if ill be able to finish it, and would that then mean ive wasted the last 4 years(to the point i could only be an electricians mate or something?)

thanks for the info guys, but am i limited to what i can do, if i dont finish my 2356?? if i have my 2330 level 3, 2391, and maybe 17th edition can i do all the same things as if i had my nvq? I have abit of experience working on site and in commercial but we hardly do it and since you can't complete 2356 of just domestic, i dont know if ill be able to finish it, and would that then mean ive wasted the last 4 years(to the point i could only be an electricians mate or something?)

well thats the bit open to interpretation... but you can still be competent without qualifications
For me the fact that a person would not be sensible enough to put themselves through a set of courses that will teach you to do something properly then that, by definition means you are not competent.

so someone who has done all the courses, but cannot finish due to them only doing domestic is now incompetent at all work because they havent done commercial work? get your head out your arse. not everyone is as perfect as you

so someone who has done all the courses, but cannot finish due to them only doing domestic is now incompetent at all work because they havent done commercial work? get your head out your arse. not everyone is as perfect as you
Firstly I am far far from perfect. I have made so many mistakes. I cannot stand the dubbing down of our industry and will not settle that anyone that has not finished their training should be allowed to be called an electrician alongside the man that has.

You may be willing to think that is ok but I don't. It is only an opinion mate. Chill out. Life is too short for you to get all angst over the web.