Split Concentric Cable Does It Need To Be Gladded?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Pearce

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know if I have to glad split con cable?

I didn't think so as no outter metal sheathing like swa, I'm running it from a kmf switch at the main meter to the consumer unit and just thought I could strip and sheath it at main fuse and take straight into c/u and strip and sheath there too?

I have enclosed it in metal trunking for mechanical protection but just wanted to know what the regs where for the glading or non glading

Cheers :)

NICEIC bloke told me years ago it could not be used for private subs

Cannot remember why, it was a long time ago
It's because it does not have suitable mechanical protection perhaps for the live conductors, remember there is no armouring over the N wrap.

Thus it does not have earthed mechanical protection.

So, one must be careful of this.

However, the OP says that it is installed in metallic trunking, thus it does have an outer earthed mechanical protection.

Mind no advantage in using split-con like this really.

Just as a first thought.

as discussed some time ago, we concluded that as Nuetral needs to be treated as a 'live' conductor then the fact that it forms part of the sheath means it is not actually suitably mechanically protected in the way SWA is. Shame we concluded this after I fed my garage in split con :(

Just so long as it is split con and not straight con

I had a customer bury about 30m of "straight" to his garage,,, boy did he laugh when I told him that I couldn't use it..... NOT

He didn't believe me and I didn't get the job ;)

There isn't a gland for split con really  .. its just made off inside a suitable enclosure .

But as the other have said , I also was told it can't be used under our Regs .    I thought of using it for lighting columns around a university campus as the fittings spec'd were difficult to gland off SWA's inside.  

It's because it does not have suitable mechanical protection perhaps for the live conductors, remember there is no armouring over the N wrap.

Thus it does not have earthed mechanical protection.

So, one must be careful of this.

However, the OP says that it is installed in metallic trunking, thus it does have an outer earthed mechanical protection.

Mind no advantage in using split-con like this really.

Just as a first thought.
That seems to ring a bell.

I could never understand why not for subs when they were internal.. 16mm 6242 Y was acceptable BUT a 25 split conn was not

IMHO 25 split conn was better,,easier to terminate ......so we just decided not to use it to save any hassle

I was however very young and impressionable

Just saying

Note to self

Must read previous post before posting