Junction Box Clips (Possibly Non-Uk)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unmartillo

Reaction score
Hey all, 

My son lives in Gibraltar and last time we were over he asked me to take a look at one of his plugs that had been yanked out of the wall by accident (don't ask!). Anyway, they have 3 pin British plugs but the screw mounts are some sort of clip. I've never seen anything like it. 

We asked around the electrical shops there and no-one has seen them before, my son asked the building supervisor and even the developer (a Dutch company) but to no avail. No-one seems to know how to fix it. Just wondering if any of you guys have seen this arrangement before, or even what the clips are called so he can search the web for them. 

I've posted a pic of one of the clips plus a pic of how they work in a box that isn't broken. Hope you guys can help. 

Kindest regards 

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

So you don't think those clips are a common way of doing things? I was afraid of that. Changing the box on the one that is damaged looks like some of the plaster will need to be removed to get it out which will be a pain. It's in a supporting wall as well (not the one in the picture). 

Buy a replacement back box and take the clips off the new one if you can't get the clips on their own.

Doc H.

Thanks Doc, We'd would do this if we knew where to get a similar box. No-one seems to have seen this mystery box and clip set up anywhere before. Our assumption is it's popular on the continent somewhere, just wondered if experts had come across it before. I thought it was a slim chance, I have tried some shops here too.

get a dryliner box with the push in clips, not the rotating ones,

take the clips out, cut off the retaining lugs, and screw, or glue into your existing back box,

Ive done this previously on UK boxes where the lugs have broke off,

the deciding factor will be if you can use 3.5mm screws for you front plate, which I dont see as much of an issue really.

or, as Kerching says,

get a conversion bracket.

I've never seen those things before ....they look like a totally rubbish idea to me .

So assuming you can't locate any lets review your optioins .

As Stepps says , buy a dry liner box & see if you can super glue the two plastic lugs to your box.

As Sidey says , chop the box out & fit a standard British KO box  ( The wall won't fall down)

Not sure what Kerch's MK thing is TBH ............Ah yes I do ...An MK 3840 ZIC  would do it..a mounting frame you'd have to screw it to the back of the box. 

As Noz says , two long wood screws through the back .

Or as I suggest , if you not bothered about it being flush, mount a twin surface box over it and fit a twin socket.

Yes it's a normal plug, it's just that the screw holes are these clips instead of being moulded into the box like a normal person would do it. Ridiculous, basically someone tripped over the hoover cable and yanked the whole thing out of the wall. If it had been a normal plug that wouldn't have happened, the screw holes / clips wouldn't have been the weakest point.

That is the one......

My Father Deke got it right, it is an MK 3840 Zic not what I said

I have much to,learn,....well, TRY to,remember
You do my son ...... I of course remembered that part no. & conjoured it up immediately as I carry them all in my head  :innocent  
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

( Just like I have committed to memory all the regulations ,with their numbers , from the 13th ed.  to all 20 editions of the 17th  )  :well-confused:  

You do my son ...... I of course remembered that part no. & conjoured it up immediately as I carry them all in my head  :innocent  
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

( Just like I have committed to memory all the regulations ,with their numbers , from the 13th ed.  to all 20 editions of the 17th  )  :well-confused:
Would not mind but I had to cut one into two the other day to fit in a double back box........tiled in.

The packet still,has the original MK sticker on it...but I blanked it. Always got a bag of them in the rooting box