Running Data Cable (Telephone Cable) Into Back Box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26400

Reaction score
Hi,  

I have done a bit of research but mixed results (thinking that it is possibly the difference between UK and american regs)

I am connecting up a 240V curtain motor via a spur, the motor is triggered via volt-free contacts through an RJ11 socket.  Was planning to run telephone / cat5e cabling (volt free switching) to a retractive switch near door. on opposite side of room.  Neatest approach by far would be to use a MK logic plus grid system - two modules with one module being a switch for the existing light switch (240v) and the other being a retractive module for the curtain open/shut (mk k4900).  easy enough to pull the cable,  but is there a reg that prevents this?

Most internet searching suggested issues with running data cables and power together for interference reasons slowing data transfer speeds (not an issue in my case).  Suspect there might be an issue having both cables side by side in back box for insulation reasons too?

If there is an issue doing this, then is there a neat alternative that could be recommended?

Thanks

Thanks,  suspected as much and had read that somewhere,  think in america it would have been ok..

Could run 2.5mm TE cable for the volt free too! but definitely overkill.  Does the reg also prevent using same trunking?  or just terminating in back box?

perhaps two architrave type switches side by side (fed by the one trunking) would therefore be ok?

Will leave post open temporarily to see if any ideas come up

It is just the insulation rating of the cables that needs to be the same if sharing an enclosure, (e.g. back box, trunking, conduit), not the conductor size. So you could use 1.0mm or some 0.75mm or 0.5mm 230v rated flex etc.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would sheathing/sleeving of the data cable/wires within the enclosure, with the appropriate thickness of sheath/sleeve, be ok?

Thanks Doc H / Rob

The existing trunking is not large enough to fit more insulated wiring, so will have to chase out the cable runs themselves.

So it seems that if i use appropriate flex cable (to acheive adequate insulation matching that of the lighting circuit) sunk into the wall for the volt-free,  it can be terminated into a 10A grid switch module alongside another 240V switch module.

So another question;  are there any cable colour requirements to make it obvious that this is volt-free and not 240V if i were to do that?  Standard flex would presumably be using blue/brown/yellow cable which might be confusing to others in the future.  Would not want 240V to be connected to the RJ11 by accident, and the phone wire would have been obviously not 240V to avoid such confusion.   Perhaps Rob's suggestion of sheathing inside the box only would be more appropriate?

Thanks Doc H / Rob

The existing trunking is not large enough to fit more insulated wiring, so will have to chase out the cable runs themselves.

So it seems that if i use appropriate flex cable (to achieve adequate insulation matching that of the lighting circuit) sunk into the wall for the volt-free,  it can be terminated into a 10A grid switch module alongside another 240V switch module.

So another question;  are there any cable colour requirements to make it obvious that this is volt-free and not 240V if i were to do that?  Standard flex would presumably be using blue/brown/yellow cable which might be confusing to others in the future.  Would not want 240V to be connected to the RJ11 by accident, and the phone wire would have been obviously not 240V to avoid such confusion.   Perhaps Rob's suggestion of sheathing inside the box only would be more appropriate?
In any situation where the purpose of a cable could be confused then suitable labeling or cable markers can be a solution to identifying the purpose of a cable. 

e.g. http://www.cableties-direct.co.uk/cable_ties_direct_catalogue.pdf#page=7  You could also stick a label inside the box.

Doc H.