At Last

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The employer pays for the employee to travel to the second  job from the first and the third job from the second and so on. So what difference will it make to the employer really?  They already charge the customer for all the traveling in the other jobs during the day.

Ok so if i live in Lincoln for example, would it be right for my employer to say my first job is at Lands end,  your second and third is in Lincoln and your last job is in Glasgow? and i have to travel to the first and last in my own time.   I dont think so.

Well I employ guys and this would be very very difficult.
So what happens when 2 people share a van and the "passenger" lives 30 minutes further away and accepted the job to get work.

As usual the EU making decisions that have enormous repercussions and no plans in place

The employer accepted the employee too.  but are they further away?  they could be closer,  depends where the first job is.

Also i consider dropping off said passenger as the last job and picking him up as the first otherwise let the employer drop them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
it kind of reads as though if there is no fixed base or those who travel direct to the job.

so what about national companies where there are only a few depots? maybe you 'work' 30 miles from home, but the depot is 50 miles away. now if you go direct to the job, then it looks as though you will need paid to travel to the job. if the employer could then say you start at the depot instead so you dont get paid to now travel 50 miles to work, now in your own vehicle, then paid as normal to travel to the job 20 miles away... result: employer now has to pay you 20 miles instead of 30, and you now have an extra 50 miles to get to work...

of course, there will be the odd employer who does take things too far which is probably what this is aimed at, but as usual its a 1 size fits all crap from europe...

The employer accepted the employee too.  but are they further away?  they could be closer,  depends where the first job is.

Also i consider dropping off said passenger as the last job and picking him up as the first otherwise let the employer drop them off.
Reasonable points, but I still think the EU statement lacks though and clarity BUT it could stop dodgy employers from exploiting staff

It will just push employers to use more casual staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a max 1hr travel in our own time at my work,  so say 1/2 hr morn then that leaves 1/2 hr max at night  or 1/4hr morn and that leaves 3/4hr max at night.

I think that is reasonable.

We have a max 1hr travel in our own time at my work,  so say 1/2 hr morn then that leaves 1/2 hr max at night  or 1/4hr morn and that leaves 3/4hr max at night.

We do similar but an hour each way. Anything over and we pay them. Not including traffic however.

i think its fantastic.

What i have seen is employed people working say 30-60 mins from home, The employer every now and then takes a job on 1-2 hours away and the employees are made to travel 4 hours a day for no extra money or lose there job. The employees are usually to scared to get another job so put up with it until that job is over.

I know one firm who employs around 1000 people mostly eastern european, and they get them traveling between 1-6 hours a day, for nothing. The bosses earn an absolute fortune while paying the employees peanuts.

Being self employed i pick and choose my jobs all usually within a 10 mile radius. Last job i did 35 miles away i charged my full rate to travel + £1 a mile for fuel and vehicle costs.

Personally I think that you shouldn't be compensated for the first 30 or 45 minutes of a journey to your first job of the day...

If you worked at a fixed location then you'd be expected to travel to work in your own time.

I can see many employers making their employees travel to a depot as their main place of work(in their own time)  and then onto their jobs

when I was employed and had a job in a fixed location, I travelled anything upto an hour a day to get to work. So don't see why my team shouldn't do the same. I've always sent my team to jobs straight from home, likewise they go striaght home from job, due to location of the office this easily saves them an hour a day in traffic, plus they get to use company van and fuel. Most of my work is within 20 mins drive from their houses. If this legislation is enforced I would probably insist they pick up vans from office, can't see any other way of working the system. We all lose out.

yet another reason we need out of the EU

at least the Labour party has finally had some sense and elected a totally unelectable leader for their party this time, apart from Mrs Blair that nobody elected.

Corbyn is an interesting choice - a conviction politician, not just another career twot from Eton/ Cambridge.

No danger of Labour winning anything without Scotland, but you never know, a leader that actually represents ordinary people in a democracy, it might just catch-on......LOL