Potholes / Karma

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every august / september the local council fix (most) potholes along great north run route. they even resurfaced some of it this year. pretty much only roads in the area to receive any attention (dont want to get sued for someone falling over)

Anyway, this year the local MP fell and broke her ankle... in a pothole...

Wonder if the entire route will be resurfaced next august?

we had some roads resurfaced when the Olympics were on. the buses have ruined them now!

@andy

sad thing is something else will get the axe to pay for the road's. As I understand it local councils haven't a pot to piss in up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our local council (apparently broke) lost £7.2m when there was the fiasco with the Icelandic banks, so the question is were they saving for a rainy day or just keeping a pension pot? For note: our roads are done of the worst I've driven on, never mind maintenance a lesson on road construction would be a good start, only if the council had the money eh!

The government is holding back the annual subsidies it pays out to councils ,  forcing the local councils to make cut-backs .  Its the same here ,  Birmingham , I think, is the 2nd largest local authority in Europe and is struggling to run it's services.   Very little road maintenance , libraries closed.

I think , although things look better , we are still in financial Shyte Street  TBH. 

we had some roads resurfaced when the Olympics were on. the buses have ruined them now!
Ye us cyclists always get the "you haven't paid any road tax" carp shouted at us, but the roads would last indefinitely if it was just cycles on them. No potholes; ever. 

From all the cars parking and driving on them.

Just a few inches of tarmac slung over tree roots and its a path.

so why do cycle lanes end up with potholes?
hqdefault.jpg

Local authorities invested money in icelandic banks..... The people involved should be jailed for "misfeasance in public office" Who but an idiot would involve themselves with such a scheme..

Can you imagine the reaction from Captain Mainwaring if you told him that you were planning such a thing?? "Icelandic banks?? Pike! have you got anything to do with this?? Never heard anything so absurd in all my life.....

john....

Such a deluded fool,   :slap

It was once said by a far wiser man than I, 

you cannot educate an educated idiot that has been educated in foolish ideas,

mere observations of actual behaviour Steps, if you can't see the truth about the Tories, try taking the blinkers off. so neh  :p

failure to invest in road structure for decades, despite all the taxation on fuel and cars is the cause of potholes, problem is they cost a fortune is vehicle repairs. If the government said they would charge all motorists £5 to repair all the holes properly in a year it would worth every penny, cos tyres and suspension bills cost me £hundreds every year. Then add the cost of accidents, which they seem to think costs about £1.6million if fatal, (and there are about 3000 deaths per year), costs below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9275/rrcgb2011-02.pdf

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-potholes-cost-12billion-fix-5401395

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576112/Land-killer-potholes-Theyre-blighting-British-roads-never-costing-drivers-millions-claiming-lives-So-wont-councils-repair-wreck-car.html

now I don't know how accurate those figures are, they aren't exactly what I would call 'good sources', but the continuous underfunding of road repairs by £1Billion for idealogical Thatcherist ideals had resulted in a backlog of £12billion.

Potholes are reckoned to cause about 10% of the accidents, so that's £3.8 billion a year, fix the holes and it will pay for itself in 4 years roughly. Provide the missing £billion and save £2.8 billion. So that's an awful lot of potholes and road re-surfacing that could be done if only the government could learn to think beyond saving pennies and cutting budgets, and we could all be better off!

Those numbers don't of course allow for loss of earnings caused by traffic jams and time taken off to get vehcles repaired and subsequent impact on the economy.

not had a single big wallop to a vehicle, it's the continuos lesser banging away at the suspension/ tyres that accumulates over time that is definetly costing me/ you money