Hot Tub Requirements ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuayThaiDad

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here and this is my first post ! 

Been handed a job from close friends to install feed to their new hot tub which is on order, not done one before and its brochure shows it needs 2 feeds ? 1 x 4mm for 16A rated heater elements and 1 x 6mm for 25A pumps and jets. This seems a bit much unless just covering start up current.

House is fed on a TN-C-S and BS1361 100A Type 2 service cut out. 

Feed would be 12 mtr run or so to tub via a rotary isolator I expect and apparently sales guy has said it will be via a commando plug. 

Question: would it be o.k. to run feed from a Type C RCBO from Hager CU inside and earth saw cable as normal with cw glands to isolator ? or do I connect cu end as normal and leave feed from isolator to hot tub earth separate from earth on swa and earth hot tub end to a new rod as a TT ? 

also are there any distances that must be observed between isolator switch and tub ? 

Any and all info / help would be very appreciated. Thanks all.

Along with the manufactures instructions I would think hot tubs will be under the remit of section 702, swimming pools and other basins. Figure 702.2 shows the zones around basins above ground level, which I assume this hot tub will be.

Doc H.

Thanks Doc, yep it's definitely under 702. zones and as tub is manufactured in U.S. it was set for two phases separately fed but configured before shipped for single phase in U.K. and requires single 32A through an isolator and they want commando socket to connect to. 

Only thing now is RCBO type which I'm thinking C curve for start up load and possibly single pole plus switched N or just single pole ?

and is it beneficial to drop the trip to 10mA instead of 30mA for more safety in your opinion ?

Thanks, 

Thanks Doc, yep it's definitely under 702. zones and as tub is manufactured in U.S. it was set for two phases separately fed but configured before shipped for single phase in U.K. and requires single 32A through an isolator and they want commando socket to connect to. 

Only thing now is RCBO type which I'm thinking C curve for start up load and possibly single pole plus switched N or just single pole ?

and is it beneficial to drop the trip to 10mA instead of 30mA for more safety in your opinion ?

Thanks, 
Does it have a CE mark?