Lighting Circuit Issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysparks79

Reaction score
Hi guys. I fitted a new light in a mates house. I connected it to existing downlight circuit which are LEDs. Didn't see a transformer so wired up and fine. Then get a call to say lights are flashing. Only done this once in two weeks and no problems since. Thought maybe all existing lights were on one transformer but the new light has 9 40w gls bulbs and they all glow at full brightness. Lights are on a dimmer and was told when they flashed it wad when they were dimmed. Also the light i picked a feed up from was nearest the switch but no sign of a transformer. Do went to check the voltage with a multimeter (all i had with me at the time) as i went across the line and earth all the lights on circuit went out. Got a reading of 210v. Any thoughts on what the problem(s) could be as do want to leave it with a potential fault.

many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we need a bit more information as to exactly what your alteration was. Unclear as to why you are saying you don't know if there was a transformer? What sort of light have you fitted, halogen, LED, CFL etc, is the new lamp worked off the dimmer, 9x40w (360watt) what is the rating of the dimmer. Most multimeter's are a bit dubious at giving accurate voltage readings on lighting circuits due to their impedance and induced potentials along switched conductors floating when not live.

Doc H

Hi doc H, just seen that an auto corrected changed what i put as LEDs to less in the existing fittings. Think i need to upgrade to a 400w dimmer.

Hi doc H, just seen that an auto corrected changed what i put as LEDs to less in the existing fittings. Think i need to upgrade to a 400w dimmer.
Original post corrected to read LED's.  Are these lights, new and existing, 12v or 230v. If LED's are involved with the dimmed lights then you need to look at both Minimum and Maximum power ratings of the dimmer for correct operation. A traditional dimmer switch will not work with LED's.

Doc H.

Thanks all. The existing lights are LED getting a reading of 210v at the existing lighting point so I'm assuming no transformer to step down to 12v. Everything that was in place already was 3 LEDs and a dimmer for them. They worked fine on the dimmer to my knowledge. The extent if my work was to add another firing with regular GLS lamps in it. Thanks guys