Modern Immersion Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the past two years I have only ever fitted two of the modern Imm. htrs . with the cut-outs in them . 

One at a print works , does hot water to the toilets , never switched off ,  cut - out  popped three times , three call backs for me , plus ladder as its on a platform , not chargable , probably cost me £150 ....so I linked out the cut out .

Domestic one two years ago , new heater ,  been back four times , once for the stat , three for the cut-out which is popped by  temperature of the central heating coil.     Every time customer tries the heater its tripped out .  So thats linked out too now .  

Just had a call , it doesn't work again , nearly three years down the line .  

If the header tank is plastic, linking out the cut out or an immersion without a cut out can be very dangerous.

I agree, the modern heater are rubbish.

It's not just tripping from another heat source like a boiler. I have known all electric system trip the thermal cut out for no reason at all as the main thermostat is set much lower.

As usual, this is a sticking plaster solution.  Try to "fix" the problem of plastic water tanks, when what was really needed was a return to decent metal tanks, or at least a plastic that could withstand hot water.

It is amazing the amount of green crud that accumulates at the bottom of cylinders. Enough to possibly cover part of the (lowest) element, leading to local overheating and the element giving up. But it shouldn't affect the cut-out, unless the stat gets covered too. (scrappie merchants hate the stuff ;) )

You could test the thermostat cut-out using a jug, a kettle and a thermometer (or just a jug kettle and thermometer, or possibly just the kettle and timing, but be careful of steam on the top gubbings). Think it should be 95 degrees.

Agree with essex1, shouldn't really be linking them out.

iirc the incident which caused this change was due to 2 factors

plastic tank and not fully supported over the whole of the base of the tank. The tank was actually tested at high water temps and passed. It was the couple of planks it rested on which made it deform with tragic consequences.

Neither of these jobs had plastic headers ....I'm well aware of that particular problem  but theres a limit to all these free call backs to pish about with carp equipment.

As Dave says ...another "sticking plaster " solution ...much like Plart Plee I guess .

And I'm sorry Rob the Rich  but I can't be doing with jugs & thermometers ......who is paying for all that pharting about  ...its crap stuff ...like the Crabtree breakers ...... & we were expected to travel round replacing them after making appointments etc .  & posting the crap back to Crabtree . 

In 300 years in the trade  I never heard of a dodgey MCB  until they closed the Walsall factory & farmed it all out to  the far east . 

Never used Crabtree again .

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither of these jobs had plastic headers ....I'm well aware of that particular problem  but theres a limit to all these free call backs to pish about with carp equipment.

As Dave says ...another "sticking plaster " solution ...much like Plart Plee I guess .
I hear you. One way or another you will need to return and fit another stat however because it cannot stay like that. Surely someone on here can recommend a decent manufacturer. Then send the crap ones back with a letter explaining the issue. Hopefully get some cash back. Then name and shame them on here.

"Good Morning sir, two sugars please... oh, while you are there..." :coffee   

I did the wylex mcb recall, the only ones I fitted were in my own flat. Think I got £70 for it :^O

Deke, Ive just came across a 7" and an 18" stat without cutouts, brand new,  if they are any use to you you can have them  FOC, means you are not changing manufacturers design, maybe,,,,,

going to the bin otherwise, I keep too much carp,,,,