Electrical Principles

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I have two question I can't get my head around the first,

Calculator the resistivity of an aluminium conductor 150m in length, csa is 4mm2 and has a resistance of 1.06 ohms.

I rewrote the resistivity formular to give me p= AR/l which gives me an answer of

(4x 10-3 x 1.06) / 150

Think I have this wrapped round my head a little bit

The other is calculation the voltage across the resistor and the inductor

I am not even sure where to start with this one I have worked out the total circuit current and the Impendants of the circuit so is it just ohms laws ? However this would give me it across the circuit, I have been given the information at the power sorce there is 230v 50 hz if that helps at all.

Don't know if you guys can help, thought it might be worth at ask

Cheers

Hi I have two question I can't get my head around the first,

Calculator the resistivity of an aluminium conductor 150m in length, csa is 4mm2 and has a resistance of 1.06 ohms.

I rewrote the resistivity formular to give me p= AR/l which gives me an answer of

(4x 10-3 x 1.06) / 150

Think I have this wrapped round my head a little bit

The other is calculation the voltage across the resistor and the inductor

I am not even sure where to start with this one I have worked out the total circuit current and the Impendants of the circuit so is it just ohms laws ? However this would give me it across the circuit, I have been given the information at the power sorce there is 230v 50 hz if that helps at all.

Don't know if you guys can help, thought it might be worth at ask

Cheers
Hi Kieron

You were almost right on the Resistivity question, you transposed the formula correctly but you did not convert the mm2 in to metres correctly 4mm2 is actually 4x10-6 and not -3, because you are converting area here and not length. Its difficult to understand and for me to explain here but draw out a square and label two of the sides 1m each, the area of this square is now 1m x 1m = 1m2. Now draw the same square and instead of metres use the equivalent mm so it will be 1000mm on each side. Now carry out the same calculation 1000mm x 1000mm and what do you get? yes 1000000m2.

so for length 1m = 1000mm

but for area 1m2 = 1000000mm2.

Back to your question if you used your formula it would be ((4 x 10-6) x 1.06)/150 = 2.827 x 10-8 ohms/metre or 0.028microohms/metre.

As for your second question, you should have been given a value for the inductor in Henrys and a value for the Resistor, this would allow you to work out XL and then you can worked out Z using the impedance formula [SIZE=medium]Z = √(R2+XL2). Now you have found Z you can work out current with I=V/Z.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]apologies for the squared value symbols etc but I hope this helps.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
?

only works on windoze ?  :C
Yeah, alt codes is a Windows thing. You can do Unicode characters on Linux (which I'm sure you know as you are computer expert ;) ). Can't remember how OTTOMH so some Googling needed, but the principle is the same, just need 2 or 3 times more keypresses.

Yeah, alt codes is a Windows thing. You can do Unicode characters on Linux (which I'm sure you know as you are computer expert ;) ). Can't remember how OTTOMH so some Googling needed, but the principle is the same, just need 2 or 3 times more keypresses.
:pmsl1:

Ive actually got a virtual keyboard dock thingie that lets me do funny symbols  :)

There's a couple of very good electrical installation calcs books by Watkins & Kitcher, a basic and advanced one. Worth getting.

Latest posts