Why Do Only Half House Lights Work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an enthusiastic DIY but am limited in my knowledge when things don't work !  I have installed a new ceiling light today which works fine. Nothing has tripped on the RCD. However, I went to go upstairs a short time ago and as it is now dark went to put the light on.

I have now discovered that none of the upstairs lights work. I have checked all of the house lights and have found that the downstairs lights all work apart from ONE room and none of the upstairs lights work. I have checked the bulbs although it would be strange for so many bulbs to blow and they are ok 

The whole lighting circuit is governed by one MCB. I have also used the trip switch and reset the power without effect.

Do not know why half the lights work and not the others. Help !!!!

Bigfella

I,would have put myself more along the lines of Marius Goring in "The Expert".......it was that series that made me want to go into Pathology.! Seriously

Not a lot of people know that
Well why not. It is your dream. ; -)

Why oh why oh why wiill people not learn to make a drawing or take a picture of how it WAS wired BEFORE disconnecting anything.

In technical terms, the loop out to the next light fitting is no longer connected.

Well why not. It is your dream. ; -)
Pathology Was aiming a bit too high, so I Went for Pharmacology. I was proved to be thicker than a Whale Omelette.

Standards were lowered to a. Degree In Electrical Engineering Science ( that did not pan out quite as expected ) and taking over the family contracting business...and now I am posting on here

Just saying

Thanks for your replies. Firstly, I did check how the previous fitting was linked up and followed this. In the set up there was just one live, one neutral, 2 earths linked together and a bunch of wires  linked to a connector and wrapped in insulating tape.

I will take light down and recheck, but not till tomorrow now especially as I have had a drink or two watching England rugby.......