To castrate or not to castrate

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTbangbang

Trainee DEI
Reaction score
Hello Apache,

Thank you for having this sub-forum :D :x :x:x

I have two 4-years old dog cocker spaniels, both entire. What is the risk (v.high/ high/ medium/ low/ v.low) of them developing testicular cancer? (Apologies if this is a stupid question Blushing )

Do a large proportion of old (13+) dogs die of testicular cancer anyway?

If they were your dogs, would you have them castrated and why? [...and that question to No.3 please! :^O ]

Thank you.

TTbb

Good question. The usual reason people have dogs castrated is for social and convenience reasons - they are less likely to wander, less aggressive and less likely to spend the evening humping your left leg! If you have your dog castrated while it is young it prevents all the above behaviours - as the dog ages the behaviour becomes learnt. Sometimes we castrate old dogs because they are grumpy/ aggressive with other dogs - and it often doesn't have any effect!

The issues regarding testicular tumours is interesting. They are common in older male dogs - I couldn't give you an estimate of dogs that die from them, but old male dogs have their testicles checked at booster vaccinations and any alteration in size is a reason for immediate castration. I'd like to hope we catch many quite early, so not so many dogs die from them. My gf saw a dog with a testicle the size of a grapefruit and put it to sleep end of last year.

We mustn't forget the prostate, this is a bigger issue than testicular tumours IMO. The prostate enlarges in older entire male dogs and can get to quite a significant size. When enlarged it can make passing urine and faeces difficult or impossible. It can cause blood in the urine. Some of these enlargements are non-cancerous some are malignant - either way the prostate shrinks when the testosterone is removed.

The disadvantages of castration include the tendency for the dog to put on weight, and some dogs get changes in coat (can go bit curly).

A direct answer to your question would be - chance of testicular tumour low-medium, chance of prostate trouble medium-high. The risk of the operation is minimal and the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages IMO.

If I had a male dog I would have him castrated - I have a ***** and she was spayed withing a month of getting her (she was a year old!)

If you want any further clarification please ask :)

Apologies to Specs for being so insensitive with the choice of thread title :^O

Thank you Apache for a very informative reply. I think I will probably get them castrated but my fear is that it will change their personalities ?:| . Both are lovely, non-aggressive dogs (and don't do any humping), it would sad if they became lesser selves. Or is this not the case?

TTbb

Apologies to Specs for being so insensitive with the choice of thread title :^O Thank you Apache for a very informative reply. I think I will probably get them castrated but my fear is that it will change their personalities ?:| . Both are lovely, non-aggressive dogs (and don't do any humping), it would sad if they became lesser selves. Or is this not the case?

TTbb
Dont worry TT - it won't make your dogs homosexual!

Their personalities should remain (now learned behaviour you see) :)

My dog has been "done"

He still wants to hump the towel we use to dry him after he has been swimming (in the sea!!) :eek: :O

And beofre you ask; No we aren't rich and have a swimming pool just for the dog. :p :p

my brother cheated on his wife, she wants to know can she castrate him or does she have to take him to someone who specialize in this

My Billy was (*) :_|

The problem is you'll never know how he would of been otherwise will you?

Because (And I hope patch agrees, the owners ultimately make a dog what it is)..

;)

Because (And I hope patch agrees, the owners ultimately make a dog what it is)..
I do! Creeky old dog with a little old lady and dogs living with kids are hyper!

BTW in response to OP - I castrated a dog with a testicular tumour on friday!

:D

I do! Creeky old dog with a little old lady and dogs living with kids are hyper!BTW in response to OP - I castrated a dog with a testicular tumour on friday!

:D
Oh god!! hypo kids and a hypo dog!! :_|

i'll stick to my little frail hamster. :x

The kids, the dog or the hamster?
I meant the hamster but could be any.

I vaccinated a very cute chocolate lab pup this week :)

More fun than any sodding hamster and you can lock it in a cage, unlike the kids

:)

To clarify 'hypo' means low 'hyper' means high

you'd have a very quiet life with the hypo kids and dog.

(very witty Batty ;) )

:coat ?