Do Not Switch Off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, MCB should operate with the lever jammed in position, assuming it hasn't burst into flames beforehand.

There is a lock fitted, it's locked in the on position.

If it trips, to reset it, you would have to switch it to the off position then back on.
There is NO lock fitted. I have fitted a few of those Proteus units, one of the few good items they have. The yellow 'clip' is just that, a clip & the lock out clamp does have a screw to tighten it to any breaker and then a padlock would be put through the hole. The screw may not be tightened up and just sitting there like i have done.

There is NO lock fitted. I have fitted a few of those Proteus units, one of the few good items they have. The yellow 'clip' is just that, a clip & the lock out clamp does have a screw to tighten it to any breaker and then a padlock would be put through the hole. The screw may not be tightened up and just sitting there like i have done.
I was referring to the metal thing on the mcb.

Okay it's not a "lock" in so far as there is no padlock. But if you don't have a screwdriver with you, you won't be able to remove it to reset the mcb after a trip.

My thoughts were surely the label should be suffice and I had assumed for the best part of my life that these were "Lock Off Kits" and not "Lock on Kits"

Whats stopping someone applying locks to both devices thinking they are doing right.

I don't believe "Locked On" can be acceptable  in any way shape or form, where is the safe isolation.