Backup Meters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who else has a set of backup meters and if you have ever used them or use them regularly?

I've got various Robin and Megger testers sat around doing nothing, not sure if they are being done more harm than good not being used regularly. I'm considering getting rid of the backup set due to never using them, but I am still 50/50 on whether I will ever need them or not. In all the years of owning and using MFT's (I bought my first in 2000) I've never been without it for any reason other than calibration, and even that is often same day at the wholesalers.

i wouldnt really call it a 'backup', but i have a IR / continuity tester. mostly use it for fault finding as its a bit more portable than the MFT

That is probably the only one I would keep, the old Megger analogue IR tester. Saves getting the MFT dirty on machinery faults. :)

I've got a set of kewtech singles,

Use them for when mft getting calibrated,

And on industrial stuff,

Bought them 2nd hand and not had them calibrated in ages, just check them against my mft every so often.

I've got a set of kewtech singles,

Use them for when mft getting calibrated,

And on industrial stuff,

Bought them 2nd hand and not had them calibrated in ages, just check them against my mft every so often.
As long as you document your findings there really is no need to get them calibrated until they show up a descrepancy. Out testers have calcards and once a month we record the results on a spreadsheet and the NICEIC inspector is happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fluke 1654 is bcked up,with a Robin KYS1620 and a KTS 1630

Fluke T150"is backed up,with a Fluke T 5

Fluke multimeter is backed up with another....do not know any more model numbers

It stems from my Diving....if it is essential to the job then I have at least two,of them....if it is not essential I have one ie. Light level, sound, earth rod, earth leakage, DC miniclamp etc

Just saying

All,get cycled and used regularly.

No point it sitting in the workshop not being used...then you come to need it and nack all happens!

I've got a wind up megger still as I just can't bring myself to throw it away. It must be an antique now appreciating in value.

I still have one....Bakelite case in a sort of Tiger skin effect...leads are transparent bell wire, croc clip on one lead and a 3" nails soldered to,the other.-...all insulated with Blakeley tape

Just saying
Same as mine.  Mine's got an AM (Air ministry) number on it.

I also have a couple of wind up Evershed and Vignoles, the wooden ones, but they're a bit big and heavy for general use..

I can never sell or otherwise dispose of my old testers, even the broken ones, I have a cupboard in my office full of them.

As long as you document your findings there really is no need to get them calibrated until they show up a descrepancy. Out testers have calcards and once a month we record the results on a spreadsheet and the NICEIC inspector is happy.
ah, not strictly true Im afraid,

have you read the recent gumph NICEIC and ther rest of them recently released about this,

along the lines of,

although your assessor may be happy with it, we do not give a rats arse and will use this against you should anything arise from you not having your meters calibrated at least yearly if not more often.

mines never been calibrated for 2 1/2 years now... gets checked every 2 weeks, if there was a problem with it i would have known about it within 2 weeks not upto 1 year

and that guideline means nothing - we all know they wont do anything to you if the cheque clears. only thing they will take action against is someone using there name without paying the fee, but i doubt they will be interested in a test kit out of calibration

It will only become an issue if something happens and someone is injured then the scam will say your tester is out of calibration so therefore you are on your own, which does sort of defeat the object of joining in the first place.....

Last edited by a moderator:
if it was calibrated but found to be not accurate you'd still be out on your own for not checking it yourself anyway, so id rather check it myself and send for calibration every few years or if test readings change

I have a Seaward Checkbox 16

I regularly check all my test gear against this on a "whenener i can be arsed" basis...never gets more than a couple of weeks though.

All gear is calibrated 6 monthly ( alternately ) eg 12 months per every individual,item...that way I am not without the tester.nearly always done on a free calibration day. Checkbox is also done 6 monthly

Why?

Because my dependants and my Insurance is worth it!

ah, not strictly true Im afraid,

have you read the recent gumph NICEIC and ther rest of them recently released about this,

along the lines of,

although your assessor may be happy with it, we do not give a rats arse and will use this against you should anything arise from you not having your meters calibrated at least yearly if not more often.
The assessor is the only one I need to please.

We calibrate instruments so i guess i am biased, however when a calibration of a Multifunction tester or Singles kit cost circa £60.00 once a year then why would you not just get it done, regardless of what the assessor thinks?

I can say with some certainty that they (scams i think you call them) will bail on you, whenever we have contacted the NICEIC to question the assessors approval of regular, documented checks as replacement of yearly calibration they have always said that is not their policy, it is in fact regular checks throughout the year (or slightly longer) in-between calibrations.

I guess until something does go wrong you will never know but with a calibration cert in hand you can put a tick against that avenue of litigation.

Latest posts