The World Is Getting Hotter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
latest science report. 1oC is roughly equivalent to the output of all the power stations in the world - that's a lot of energy, hence the bigger weather systems and more extreme weather conditions like the recent hurricane that hit Mexico (fortunately it had calmed down a bit before it hit the land) - the strongest hurricane every recorded in the Northern Hemisphere

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34763036

could do with a bit of cold and dry weather (warm and dry would be even better). The big concern is that we have 50% towards the 2oC rise that is forecast to cause major disasters. Not that the planet will be bothered, it's us daft humans who will suffer - all those nice coastal cities!

Here is a VERY interesting article, worth 10 minutes of anyoners time to have a read.  http://technocracy.news/index.php/2015/10/30/former-president-of-greenpeace-scientifically-rips-climate-change-to-shreds/

It basically concludes before the industrial revolution, CO2 levels were falling dangerously low and was getting close to the point where plant life would start to die out.  But man came along and started regenerating the CO2 in the atmosphere and has bought civilisation a few more million years of existence.

Very controversial, but have a read and see what you think?  I am a believer.  :run

Last edited by a moderator:
UK used to be covered in ice one time. i dont think we were around then get the temp up enough to melt it all...
took volcanoes to reverse the last ice age several million years ago from what I understand. We're just cocking up the natural cycles, anyway I'm not going through it all again, I'm just posting info to guide you towards the error in your thinking  :slap       Talking of which, where's cow fiddler???

Scientists have quoted that the temperature of the planet has gone up and down many many times over the years. As Andy says one time the UK was covered in ice. It is an impossibility that man could have this affect on the planet. Anyone who believes this is earning out of it.

that isn't the issue Essex, the issue is the rapid change in temperature we have seen over the last few decades, and, of course mankind has never been big enough to damage the environment which is we banned DDT, caused Acid Rain, are killing people in cities with diesel particle emmissions, created smog, have destroyed the fish stocks, have deforested large tracks of land causing flooding and soil erosion as well as reducig oxygen production and have littered the seas with plastics. I could go on, but I'm fed up with trying to convince the non-believers on this forum. As I said previously to you we have been over this many times.

As the largest species to inhabit the planet (and probably contain some of the dumbest), we are responsible for the technology that has and will exist on this planet and therefore the pollution that is produced we have to take some responsibility for the changes that occur? If not then we are more ignorant than already proven to be!

Local pollution is of course horrible and needs to be stopped. I am a big supporter of this. Global warming however is ridiculous.

Deforestation.  Now there's a subject.

What do trees do?  Ah yes, they absorb CO2, capture the carbon and give out O2.  they are quite useful things.

So we cut most of them down, and nobody seems to link THAT to rising CO2 levels.  

Well you can't tax a tree for being cut down can you? so best ignore the deforestation issue, and blame rising CO2 levels on the burning of fossil fuels.  Now THAT is a lot easier to tax the culprits isn't it?

They clearly stopped teaching about the benefit of nature many moons ago Dave, as there are far more important things to learn like how a phone can be used for everything other than to talk on!

Here is a VERY interesting article, worth 10 minutes of anyoners time to have a read.  http://technocracy.news/index.php/2015/10/30/former-president-of-greenpeace-scientifically-rips-climate-change-to-shreds/

It basically concludes before the industrial revolution, CO2 levels were falling dangerously low and was getting close to the point where plant life would start to die out.  But man came along and started regenerating the CO2 in the atmosphere and has bought civilisation a few more million years of existence.

Very controversial, but have a read and see what you think?  I am a believer.  :run
an interesting view point indeed, what this demonstrates to me is what I have been saying for a long time, the planet will survive, but the current locations of the human population will suffer eg flooding of London.

He is very correct in saying the science isn't proven, but general consensus is against his arguments, and I totally agree that more CO2 could be good for plant life. Which ever way you take the arguments I think the only 'given' is that world will be very different in 100 years. I'm also still agreat beiever thatreduicng the human population is the real answer to the whole shebang, including preservation of wildlife.

Well that's Essex logic!

It happens locally but not globally, clue before global comes local now put these together?
If everyone takes care of their local community - problem solved. Essex style.

Deforestation.  Now there's a subject.

What do trees do?  Ah yes, they absorb CO2, capture the carbon and give out O2.  they are quite useful things.

So we cut most of them down, and nobody seems to link THAT to rising CO2 levels.  

Well you can't tax a tree for being cut down can you? so best ignore the deforestation issue, and blame rising CO2 levels on the burning of fossil fuels.  Now THAT is a lot easier to tax the culprits isn't it?
they also grow fast so can be used for fuel and replaced quite quickly - carbon neutral...

the real problem is that we won't really know the answer for many years, the fear factor is 'did we miss a chance to prevent a disaster' which is my take on the whole issue. However that article is contradicted by my first posting that shows CO2 and temperatures have steadily risen in the last 18 years. I do kind of like his philosophy about the oil shale - I'm not against such things as they do patch up the land afterwards, but it is also destroying a natural eco-structure - very hard to predict what we might destroy with it.

I've been working on some listed buildings lately, I juts don;t get the 'preserve in aspic' mentality. Preserve yes, but sympathetic improvements may keep the building alive a lot longer???

Of everyone takes care of their local community - problem solved. Essex style.
not far off really, look after the local environment and you eventually look after the bigger picture - 'even the longest journey strats with a single step'. Works in reverse aswell of course. This is why I like to see millions of individual people do something like recycle cardboard, take a shopping bag like your mum used to etc etc.

Note to it industry, please divide your business and production to local community only so your pollution can be managed!

Essex thinking
this is why we also need national / global standards to deal wth big industries.

Funnily enough we just got scored from one of our contractors. Perfect scores except environmental. When I pressed I asked why. Turns out they want to see more recylcling. The next job we will organise on site and arrange recycling.

Now would that be a large industry asking you the smaller link to do your bit for the planet, which following your own logic you should have been doing already?!