New Laptop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old Dell laptop is beginning to creak a little so I have bought a replacement. Now I want to 'mirror image' the old unit on to the new laptop, so I don't have to go around retyping all my passwords, downloading software etc etcc.  So what is the best way (make that simplist) to achieve this. 

Old lappy Windows 7 home premium, new lappy firkin windows 8 (would quite happily remove this)

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't part of the issue that the existing install is "creaky" as it needs a re-install of Windows anyway i.e. start afresh? Won't mirroring what you have onto another disc just "mirror" some of the issues?

Not au fait tbh on how this cloning stuff works I must admit. All I know is Windows XP, 7 pcs work so much better (for a while) from a fresh install.

We just bought a new lappy.  Cost us £12.  Yes that's right £12.  Came with Windoze 8.1  It's taken ages to get 8.1 into anything like a workable form.  I don't know how folk work these days, but just about every program defaults to having all the menu's turned off.  Just how do people manage with no proper menu's and just a few of the basic commands available?

My old Dell laptop is beginning to creak a little so I have bought a replacement. Now I want to 'mirror image' the old unit on to the new laptop, so I don't have to go around retyping all my passwords, downloading software etc etcc.  So what is the best way (make that simplist) to achieve this. 

Old lappy Windows 7 home premium, new lappy firkin windows 8 (would quite happily remove this)
First thing I would do is put Windows 7 on it. I got a new laptop the other day, took me an hour or 2 sat in front of the telly to get it all set up. First thing is core drivers, so depending on what the machine has on board then grab the latest AMD/Intel/nVidia drivers from the relevant site. Next go to www.ninite.com, tick the boxes for the programs you want and then download and run the resulting .exe. This will sort out most programs, then install the odd couple that aren't hosted there manually and then finally copy profiles over from Firefox and Thunderbird. Bar a bit of personalising and tweaking that's about it really.

We just bought a new lappy.  Cost us £12.  Yes that's right £12.  Came with Windoze 8.1  It's taken ages to get 8.1 into anything like a workable form.  I don't know how folk work these days, but just about every program defaults to having all the menu's turned off.  Just how do people manage with no proper menu's and just a few of the basic commands available?
I want to know how you got a laptop for £12,?

TWELVE FRECKING QUID,!!!!!!!   :shakehead  

Just cloning the drive simply wont work. The Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) will still match the old system. Even if it did boot, it would run very badly and there will be a lot of issues.

If it's passwords you are worried about, what browser do you use? Firefox has a sync feature. You sign up, sync the do same on new install, voila. Wouldn't surprise me is chrome had same / similar feature....

I thought I done well getting a year old HP for but the price of a screen, £40

and a 4yo something or other for the price of a charger, £14

A while back,

But, a brand spanking new one for a dozen of your English (or Scottish) pounds, now that's something.....

Oh yes, flying along nicely on raid,

It's my main office/back up computer,

Minecraft runs decent on it too, but I don't let the lad use it in case he rm-rf 's a load if stuff   :slap

My missus thought I'd ordered a Russian bride when the box arrived, freaking massive   I  :pmsl1:

ok its dell to dell, will update windoze 8 to 10, think they have sorted the bugs out, then have a pop at transferring. I mostly use firefox, Most of my stuff is cloud based, just got a few software programs like PV-sol, and there is an element of transfering old shite, I've had the old dell for about 8 years, hence it's getting a bit creaky....

Linux,

It's just the very kernel that Windoze and OSx is based on,

Horses for courses, I have not got the slightest clue about Windoze, don't have much more about Linux mind,   :)

I do see the uses for Windoze though if you run lots of proprietary software,  it's all geared to the mass market. 

our office upgraded to 10 and they are now having lots of virus issues, nothing to do with no hardware or software firewalls I suspect but I'm just the delivery boy!

even dell>dell may give you problems with driver compatibility etc take the c: out and stick it in a caddy, pick what you need and install software fresh. once your done with it send it to steps in a really big box!