Careers Report

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its_tron

Reaction score
currently studying city and guilds level 2 electrical installation. been tasked with writing a report containing a few headlines, Electrical Contractor, Maintenance Electrical Engineer and Data & Alarm Engineer. i have to do abit of research then have to say what my preference is. Basically the research isnt going to well. anyone able to give me a link or a few lines to describe them? ive already done a few lines on Maintenance Engineer. 

thanks in advance ross :)  

Electrical contractor

Takes all the risk. Both commercial and delivery. Would be expected to have all the insurances required to complete the works. Would have to pay for all training etc themselves.

Maintenance electrical engineer

Would generally work for the above. Everything should be provided by the above. Zero risk commercially and delivery. Usually paid by the hour, day or on a salary. Would not be involved in large works or installation. General maintenance of existing installations.

Data & Alarm engineer

Could not make the grade of either of the above. Generally thought of as the parking attendants (data) and PCSOs (fire) of the electrical world.

Just guessing here but could they also be looking for the differentiation between design, install, test, commission new installation work; Electrical contractor.  Compared to investigate, fault find and fix problems on existing installations that have stopped working correctly; Maintenance.  And then working at voltages well below 230v AC;  Data, telecommunications, fire alarm, security alarm, TV, Satellite, fibre, Co-ax, CAT5 etc

Doc H.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Essex.

"Data & Alarm engineer
Could not make the grade of either of the above. Generally thought of as the parking attendants (data) and PCSOs (fire) of the electrical world"

Had to laugh!!!!

john...