Lamp Holder Has No Earth Contact? Metal Brass, Plastic Inner

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC-Electric

Reaction score
Hi,

Found this forum searching for help in google, first post first question :)

I need to replace the lamp holder for an old decorative lamp, lamp in image "MainLampStick.jpg"

MainLampStick.JPG

This is the old broken plastic lamp holder I need to replace, image "OldBrokenLampHolder.jpg"

OldBrokenLampHolder.JPG

I wanted to replace it with a Metal Brass lamp holder (which has a plastic inner lamp holder), then use an LED Edison Style E27 bulb (no lamp shade on lamp anymore)

This is the Lamp Holder I bought, image "MetalBrassParts.jpg"

MetalBrassParts.JPG

The old broken lamp holder had that small metal screw ring with an earth connection and indeed the wire is a 3 core wire with live, neutral and earth.

And it had a little screw for each contact (L,N,Earth)

1)

My main issue (and request for help) is that the new Metal Brass lamp holder and the inner plastic lamp holder do not have an Earth Contact. Because the outer metal part I assumed this would come with earth, I know normal plastic lamp holders do not always come with earth, but this one being metal outside I sort of assumed it would work with a 3-core wire. 

Shall I isolate the Earth Wire (electric tape) and just connect the Neutral and Live and that will be ok/safe?

2)

In the past I have only ever replaced lamp holders that have a little screw for each wire contact to fix the wire in place (as per the old broken one).

But this new lamp holder... it has no screw, image "NewLampHolder_RearContactsHoles.jpg"

NewLampHolder_RearContactsHoles.jpg

- Do I push the wire in the little calice-shaped holes? Point 1 in image (the holes one on each side of the middle hole)

- Or do I push the cable to make contact with the little metal-tongue in point 2 (please see image)?

Thank you for any help you have time to throw my way :)

Ive fitted a lot of lampholders that 'look similar' to yours,

donr about 3 dozens 'made' outside streetlights that had them,

I'd hazard a guess its hole 2   [ oooohhhh errrr missus,   :|    ]

the earth on the streetlights I fitted was to the metal framework of the lamp itself, so no good to you

oh, make sure the 'live' wire goes into the orifice that corresponds to the middle contact on the lamp,

Don't worry about it, it's a spammer, just waiting for the admins to get round to cleaning up.

I'd say that the cables go in the round holes between 1 & 2,,, like Steps says make sure that the Live one goes in the hole that corresponds with the central tab in the lamp holder.

When assembled is the lamp holder class 2 (double insulated)??  does it have a symbol on it somewhere? a square within a square??

hi guys than you for your replies I appreciate it

I had a reply from the Vendor of the lamp holder and he said:

1. The holder itself is plastic, this is the reason the earth wire option is not added to it, if it was made from full metal it would then be earthed.
2. The wire just clips on each side through the metal hole

I replied to him again with the photos as he may have missed the fact my cable has an earth cable. and point 2 in his reply doesn't specify with side meal hole

​Thank you Steptoe, yes I was aware the Live wire has to connect into the orifice that corresponds to the middle contact on the lamp, but thank you anyway.

NozSpark:

This photo shows all the markings I can see on the inner plastic holder (the metal outer part has no markings)

LampHolder_Markings.jpg

These next two photos show what it looks like built, I hope it is double insulated so I can simply put electric tape on the Earth and leave it hanging in there somewhere?

LH_Assembly_1.jpg

LH_Assembly_2.jpg

The 3Core wire from the actual statue-lamp is inside a metal tube which connects to the lamp holder (First photo in my initial thread). Maybe I need a lamp holder with Earth connection because this Metal Tube on the Statue?

Thank you guys for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I think I should look for a different edison/vintage style metal lamp holder which specifically mentions it has an earth connection. Better safe than sorry with this stuff!

Hi TC,

Did you find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue. Bought some lampholders online - no earth connection. No obvious signs of double insulation either. 

Cheers,

John.

Hi, yes that's the one I used the one in my picture above with the E27 MAX 60W label on it. If I remember well, I exchanged emails with the seller I bought it from to make sure it would have been ok, but I can barely remember details. No problems so far