Solar Pv Advice Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarnewbie

Reaction score
Hi

I am pretty new to solar panels but thinking of having them installed before the FIT changes in the new year.

Iv recieved a quote from a local installer and want to get a heads up from ppl on this forum of price/model.

Iv been given quotes installing 3 different modules, Sunpower 327x12 panels @ £7.9k, LG 315 nano x 12 @ £6.8k and Seraphim 260 x 12 @ £4.6k.

with the LG and Sunpower, iv been told that an SMA inverter would be installed while on the seraphim zeversolar. Can anybody please provide me their opinion of having these installed and pros/cons?

does the quote iv been given appear reasonable?

Iv got hardly any shade and on a 30% southfacing roof. Are there any other points i should watch out for? Should the inverter be instaled in my attic? If not whereelse would be a suitable location?

Appreciate your time/efforts in advance. Help is needed:)

Thanks Canoe for your valuable input. I am leaning towards the LGs, dont think its with paying extra for the sunpowe although SP offer 25 yrs warranty compared to LG at 12 years.

Even the Indian made i believe Seraphim price makes me think if its worth paying extra for LG for £300 per year savings oniy.

Good point on a survey check after before final payment. Can you tell me if the roof survey should occur on install day or before when they came out? The company is local and they have good reviews but the guy didnt spend too much time surveying the roof.

Thanks again Canoe, really appreciate the input!

The company is mcs registered and im surprised the installer didnt mention a roof survey.

I'll add that to the list of questions to ask him.

I dont see anything in the information pack they provided about installing a seperate CU and feeding it to the mains, is this normally seen as an extra? Or general good practice.. Just thinking whether i should expect my quote to go north if i ask.

Yes looking forward to Binky to provide more information, the more the merrier. Thanks guys.

Another point, is it work asking for an energy monitoring desktop/Owl? Im quoted £160 plus vat

I'll need to ask about the SMA model then, he has given me a fact sheet which includes all models including the 3600TL.

I do want to have a solar dump kit but iv got a combi boiler, the old water tank is still in the attic but im sure the piping has been rerouted.

Couldnt open your pics Canoe, said i dont have permissions

go for the LG, superior low light performance over Sunpower, not overpriced and build quaility second to none. LG do have a performance warranty for 25 years anyway. Seraphim work very well - I've fitted loads, in car terms they are something like Kia, but having recently fitted several sets of the LG neon, the superior build quality gets my vote. The first set I fitted was outputting 200w on a really dark misty day when my own panels were doing 100w. It is the low light performance that will put the biggest hole in your bills - you burn more electric in winter.

thanks Binky.. I think LG are the ones to go for then.  A friend of mine had gone for SolarWorld, 16 panels which came out at 4kwatt and roughly the same price as the LG quote... so I think the quotes appear reasonable.

the installer confirmed that a roof and electrical survey will be performed prior to install but after raising an order with them.

He also confirmed that a SB3680 SMA inverter will be installed, is that a good model? will it be wireless enabled?

I also asked him about the location of the inverter and CU, he said the following:

[SIZE=12pt]The SMA Inverter will work up to a temperature in excess of 100 degrees, and also has an integral fan for cooling purposes. I try and install in the loft as it is closer to the panel array as DC cable carries voltage loss over a 5 metre distance.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We always install a fuse spur and do not connect direct into the consumer unit as these tend to trip out when connected directly.[/SIZE]
Binky/Canoe - can you agree with his response on the inverter? and does his CU routing the correct way with a fuse spur?

they derate after 60deg C so become less efficient. Like anything electrical, heat will kill it in a shorter time scale. Better outside or in garage or add ventilation to the loft. If you use 4mm DC cable you can run over 100m before the length of run becomes an issue.

It's easier for the installer to locate in the attic.

Thanks guys, great help. I'll ask about the solar dump to see what option do i have.

Im a bit dissapointed, i was in a position of making an order today with this local installer and iv just been informed that their installations are fully booked for December... This is after he said that there was plenty of scope to fit me in only yesterday

Dont know whats he playing at. He said that the tariiffs will only drop marginally in January, is that true? Iv been reading that theres a significant drop to come in Jan.

Canoeboy, Binky

Just to give you an update on this, iv had my roof and electicial survey, and the installer confirmed that all appears ok however he is again keen ok getting the inverter installed in the loft space rather than the utility room on the 1st floor landing which is what i proposed. He said that he can get it installed on the gable end wall, and if they do install into the loft there is minimal cable work from the array to the Inverter, and a straight run down the gable wall to the fuse board area in the front porch.

If they installed into the utility room he would be doubling the amount of both AC and DC cables needed, and recommended not to go down this route.

I did raise the issue of the inverter overheating on the loft space in the summer, however he seemed to have disregarded this saying the inverter can work in temps of up to 100degs and has a cooling fan.. What do you guys think? Shall i continue to push to have the inverter installed outside of the loft space?

Another thing i want to run by you is the savings that iv been assesed to make, which is up to c£1000 per year, see extract below. Are these savings geniunely made on the LGs? Refer to option 1.. Or would i be expecting less back from your experience of installing/using solar... Really apreciate your guidance.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
they don't work up to 100deg C and the fan would be pushing hot air past the cooling fins - ergo doesn't cool!

AC use 4mm, DC like wise, absolutely no issue other than it will take  a little longer to install, plus strictly speaking, you have your loft boarded out to allow safe access to gable wall. Also from your point of view you can go fiddle/ play with the inverter a lot easier.

Are they supplying a small display like a GEO Solo? - Worth getting one so you can see what the system is doing.

seems they just what an easy install with getting the inverter in the loft. Iv read alot of websites where they categorically state not to install inverters in loft space, even on yougen website.

I'll push to get it installed elsewhere and not in the loft space. They havent recommended a Geo Solo, but i have the option of an Owl Monitor? Do you recommend to get one of these systems installed and if so which one is good to use?

On the electricity saving, i am just having 2nd thoughts on the assessed figures of nearly £1000, i mean if i do end up saving that much then hapoy days as its worth the investment, just dont want to be had by the installer...

The guy is unbelievable, after another reply last night, he still adamant to have it installed in the loft... Having 2nd thoughts about this company now. He says that the inverter can now work in 120degs temp and emphasised again the internal fan!

the meter will be installed in the front porch not fsr from the CU which is just near the front door.

So the quote is to fit a SMA SB3680 TL Dual MPPT Inverter and its 3.5kw LG solar panel system being installed.   Not sure what type of KW inverter it is but I presume its a 4kw.

I've responded to the installer re-iterating my preference of having the inverter installed in the storage room rather than the loft.

do you know whether it is against MCS guidelines to install inverters in the loft?

data sheet attached - 600C.

The man is a twot and doesn't understand basic physics, cooling fans don't work if they are passing hot air over the cooling fins. It has also just occurred to me that SMA removed the cooling fans some years ago in favour of cast fins to rear of inverter, it cools by convection, also on the data sheet.

Tariff isn't being slashed directly after xmas now, you may have upto march to install -  make some phone calls and see if you can find another installer. You want the 3680 model of you have 3.5kW of panels - it has to be 16A limited anyway to comply with DNO requirements unless you have permission to output a higher ampage

SMA Data Sheet 3000 3600 4000 5000 TL 21(1).pdf

Attachments

• SMA Data Sheet 3000 3600 4000 5000 TL 21(1).pdf
    326.9 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.