W7 Update Crash

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So I got the boy a new computer for Xmas, no OS 

I have a genuine W7 key and disc,

I booted it up no problem,

Worked fine Xmas eve, Xmas day, was on Internet and all,

Done an update boxing day, computer restarted and drove at a screen that said computer needed a repair donne,

Rebooted using repair disc I had made, couldn't fix it,

Rebooted using install disc, fixed problem, when I shut down and Rebooted again same issue,

Re-installed W7, all perfect, updated and same issues,

Everytime I do an update it freezes on the system repair screen.

Any ideas,? 

Do I really need to do the update,? 

Takes a fkin day just to install Windoze,,,,,,    

A day? Takes me an hour or 2 to go from blank HDD to fully working with everything installed and configured ready for use.

Anyway, what update specifically is it choking on? I don't normally do manual updates, just set up automatic updates and leave it to do its thing in the background. Are you manually applying updates?

Brand new install,

It simply says something like 200 critical updates required, I click install, it crashes on reboot. 

As you know, I don't normally use windows, it's all new to me. 

A day? Takes me an hour or 2 to go from blank HDD to fully working with everything installed and configured ready for use.Anyway, what update specifically is it choking on? I don't normally do manual updates, just set up automatic updates and leave it to do its thing in the background. Are you manually applying updates?
http://youtu.be/bWcASV2sey0

Brand new install,

It simply says something like 200 critical updates required, I click install, it crashes on reboot.
If you are clicking something then it sounds like you are trying to manually apply updates. What are the update settings? Just set them to automatically download and install and then leave it to sort itself out. I have found if you try to apply manual updates you can confuse it.

Canoeboy said:
Be prepared for high stress, lots of wasted time, minutes will turn into hours :slap
I knew you'd be all over this. Surprised it took you this long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just go to control centre panel, click on check for updates, install updates, it restarts and freezes,!

What should I be doing then? 

I'm lost, boy comes back from Scotland on Sunday so I'd like to have it working by then,

Also, any pointers to good antivirus,? I get Kaspersky free with bank, is it good enough,? 

One of the issues with Windows is that it can and often does try to automatically update itself.

Now if you try to do updates as well, it gets upset.

So, you need to turn off automatic updates, then manually update it.

Once you have it up to date then you can turn automatic back on.

I just go to control centre panel, click on check for updates, install updates, it restarts and freezes,!

What should I be doing then?
As I have said in every post so far, just leave it to do automatic updates!

I'm lost, boy comes back from Scotland on Sunday so I'd like to have it working by then,

Also, any pointers to good antivirus,? I get Kaspersky free with bank, is it good enough,?
I wouldn't use it. Pretty much all of the free ones have some sort of nag window/popup/advert thing going on nowadays but I switched to ESET NOD32 years ago. If I install anything for anyone I usually use Avast as a free option. I would never use McAfee/Norton/Kaspersky.

The Linux partition fly along just fine,

Just that I have to reinstall grub Everytime I reinstall windows as it overwrites the whole HDD with its bootloader, 

OK, I'll try to reinstall and just set it to auto update, see how it goes tomorrow. 

HDD is set to 500G windows, 300G /media on NTFS partition, and 200G on an ext4 partition. 

Oh, the Kaspersky is a proper version, but Barclays (I know) give it to you free as part of your business banking package,  will look at the others tho 

Just that I have to reinstall grub Everytime I reinstall windows as it overwrites the whole HDD with its bootloader,
I thought I read somewhere that they had fixed that in later versions, maybe I didn't. I stopped dual booting years ago, all my dual OS machines have some sort of VM environment.

Oh, the Kaspersky is a proper version, but Barclays (I know) give it to you free as part of your business banking package,  will look at the others tho
I think out of the 3 I mentioned I would probably be least averse to Kaspersky (just). Definitely wouldn't let McAfee or Norton anywhere my machines.

I must be lucky. I have had Windows and Macs for as long as I can remember with Norton installed and NEVER had an issue.

I must be lucky. I have had Windows and Macs for as long as I can remember with Norton installed and NEVER had an issue.
A lot of people have said that to me. They have then uninstalled Norton and said "ah yeah, I see the massive problems Norton has been causing me all these years now".

You must be the only person in the entire world with Norton on a Mac.

When my AV expired I tried all the 30 day trials and found Bitdefender to be the best product out there but thats just me.

You must be the only person in the entire world with Norton on a Mac.

When my AV expired I tried all the 30 day trials and found Bitdefender to be the best product out there but thats just me.
I realised how it sounded when I read it back but could not be bothered to edit. You know what I meant.

AVG if you want a freebie. Enigma Spyhunter if you don't mind paying IMHO.

As for Linux I recently rebuilt my knockabout lappy with Zorin 10. Going back to Zorin 9 LTS tbh. Zorin 10 is as annoying as Windoze.