Honeywell ST9400C

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayburn

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am having problems with my heating and hot water.  They work independently using the programmer but not both together.  Have read lots of posts here about this particular programmer but not found a solution.  I have isolated the programmer from everything else and then tested the voltage outputs and get what I think are unusual results as follows;

Heating only

Brown 67v

Black 240v

Grey 240v

Hot Water only

Brown 240v

Black 67v

Grey 35v

Both together

Brown 240v

Black 67v

Grey 35v

I think that the 240v signals are all as expected and that the other readings ie 67v or 35v indicate a fault with the programmer.  Would be good to know before I simply replace.

many thanks.

Nick

A standard multimeter across the neutral feed to the programmer and the live outputs from the programmer.

Nick

The fact you get the same readings for hot water only and heating & hot water, suggests you have found your problem surely?

just for your info there was a recall on these programmers due to this sort of fault, I had it with mine at home, if I set the hot water to come on 10mins before heating all was fine but didn't work if both set to same time, there is a way to find the date code with certain presses (or a sticker on the back), then ring Honeywell, ive had 4 different callout to the same problem in recent years and had 2 replaced under warranty and 2 not so defo worth a try.

hope this helps.

wayne

recalled codes 1037 - 1139

The "Date Code" for this device can be seen on the display if the '+' button is held for about 8 seconds. This is followed by a check sum number. The two numbers will alternate a few times before the display returns to normal

Last edited by a moderator:
just for your info there was a recall on these programmers due to this sort of fault, I had it with mine at home, if I set the hot water to come on 10mins before heating all was fine but didn't work if both set to same time, there is a way to find the date code with certain presses (or a sticker on the back), then ring Honeywell, ive had 4 different callout to the same problem in recent years and had 2 replaced under warranty and 2 not so defo worth a try.

hope this helps.

wayne

recalled codes 1037 - 1139

The "Date Code" for this device can be seen on the display if the '+' button is held for about 8 seconds. This is followed by a check sum number. The two numbers will alternate a few times before the display returns to normal

Didn't know that,,, however I have ours set to do HW and CH at different times

Thanks for comments.

ive changed the 3 port and that made no difference. Hence the reason I isolated the programmer before testing any voltages. 

It idoes seem that it's a programmer fault.  I will look for a date code tonight.  

Again, thank you all for comments 😃

but why would you even contemplate spending more than £40 of your time to fix something that isnt worth that much?

attend site, and remove programmer,

go home,

fix programmer,

return to site and re-attach programmer,

thats a lot more of my time than its worth tbh, who would pay for that ?

And as it was only 12 months old I'd have had it replaced anyway, and this is a pretty isolated incident.

Completely not worth the time or hassle for anyone to even bother.

How can you program this controller to run from 6pm Saturday to 11.30 am Sunday? It doesn't seem possible, if I program Saturday to finish at 24.00hrs the Sunday won't start any earlier than 03.00?

Cheers 

How can you program this controller to run from 6pm Saturday to 11.30 am Sunday? It doesn't seem possible, if I program Saturday to finish at 24.00hrs the Sunday won't start any earlier than 03.00?

Cheers 

Have you got a copy of the user instructions?

https://www.wolseley.co.uk/wcsstore7.00.1066.1226/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/AssetPush/DTP_AssetPushHighRes/std.lang.all/nu/al/222424_User_Manual.pdf

24:00 hrs generally doesn't exist on most time clocks.. 

normally goes from 0:00 to 23:59, then back to 0:00..

i.e as it passes midnight the time increments:   23:57, 23:58, 23:59, 0:00, 0:01, 0:02 etc.. 

(NO 24:00)

:coffee