Where is your credit/debit card?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manator

©Honorary Essex Boy™
Reaction score
Just a general warning for all those who use touch credit/debit cards. A man was pictured on the underground with what looked like a mobile phone, it was in fact a point of sale devise. All he had to do was to touch it against a wallet and hey presto money was taken.

Keep your cards safe.

This is what Lloyds have on their website about these cards:

"Can a purchase be made without my knowledge (for example, will the card-reader activate if I walk past it)?

No. Your card has to be extremely close to the reader - typically between two and four centimetres - and the retailer must have first entered the amount for you to approve."

So this begs a question about how do the devices in the OP actually work? Are they trying to pull data off the card?

I wonder if I can permanently disable this on my card?

Contactless technology is far safer than carrying cash. The maximum transaction amount is £30 so no major amounts is going to go missing if you are the unlucky one in 10,000,000 that this happens to. VISA also protects your loss if this should happen and you have taken reasonable precautions. 

Absolutely nothing to worry about. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what Lloyds have on their website about these cards:

"Can a purchase be made without my knowledge (for example, will the card-reader activate if I walk past it)?

No. Your card has to be extremely close to the reader - typically between two and four centimetres - and the retailer must have first entered the amount for you to approve."

So this begs a question about how do the devices in the OP actually work? Are they trying to pull data off the card?

I wonder if I can permanently disable this on my card?

I think it is very possible. The person enters an amount before the strike (once he knows the button layout of the device, won't really need to look). Then in situtaions like busy public transport points where it is expected to be bumped into etc, the offender just holds the device up against the pocket for a couple of seconds. If the card is in the pocket or in a wallet in the pocket. it could scan.....

Cashless society is the final nail in the coffin,

Our cash system is abused bad enough, the bankers will win if it ever happened.

wasnt there a weekend when one banks computer system went down and people couldnt access any transfers, cards working etc. Some people couldnt buy fuel, food,  it was fantastic. If the power had gone down for a week people would have been starving on the streets. :slap

Mores the pity that you give them control of your money! 

If a stranger came up to you in the street and said I'll look after your money would you give it to them? So why give it to a bank? Do you trust a stranger or a bank any different? 

Cashless society is the final nail in the coffin,

Our cash system is abused bad enough, the bankers will win if it ever happened.

wasnt there a weekend when one banks computer system went down and people couldnt access any transfers, cards working etc. Some people couldnt buy fuel, food,  it was fantastic. If the power had gone down for a week people would have been starving on the streets. :slap
That'd be RBS,  one of the wife's mates works for them, phone bit for card problems, she says it regular for them, and when it happens they just turn off half the phones, :slap

Mine just look like ordinary cards, but with the new fangled square "chip" thing on them. Mine are always in my front pocket, so anyone make a grap for my nuts and they better have running shoes on... Unless they are a girl with dark hair and brown eyes, it which case they can gladly carry on!!

john..

Latest posts