Problems with new storage heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Ive just had 6 new storage heaters fitted to my art studio and an economy 7 meter fitted switched the heaters Tuesday and went in today expecting place to be warm all heaters are cold electrician has checked his wiring and its okay whats the problem

You need to establish whether the e7 is actually switching on. I normally recommend that one of the storage heaters have a fused spur with a neon so that if its on its easy to tell.

have you turned the boost right down and the heat setting to the top setting?

what make and model heaters are they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Harid to,tell from so far away

main switch not on

meter connected wrongly

not tested properly

Radio 4 not sending signal to Teleswitch if fitted

faulty teleswitch

faulty heat links....unlikely to affect all six

busbar missing from board

tails insulation trapped

its like ringing a garage and saying...my car does not not work what is wrong with it?

MUCH more info needed

what tests did the 'electrician'  do

just saying

You need to establish whether the e7 is actually switching on. I normally recommend that one of the storage heaters have a fused spur with a neon so that if its on its easy to tell.

have you turned the boost right down and the heat setting to the top setting?

what make and model heaters are they?

The heaters are Newlec I think, just input and output dials no fan not automatic G4S engineer fitted the meter My electrician asked him if he could check the system was operating but he said you couldn't override the e7 system and had to just wait until the he heaters came on they didnt!!! sorry im an artist not an electrician

Well you need to get back in touch with your suppliers / installers (the people who you paid)...

and get them to come and investigate and fix the problem FOC.

They should be the ones who know what they did....

Its not that difficult for a competent person to test if its a supply or heater issue.

:popcorn

Get the electrician back. There's plenty he can do to double check that all his wiring right back to the supply is okay, even if he is not there when the off peak times are .

If he is absolutely certain that the wiring is okay, then arrange for him to come late at night or very early in the morning to check the off peak supply is really coming on or not, and if not the problem needs to be thrown back to your supplier.

... G4S engineer fitted the meter ...

Welcome to the forum artist.

The person who came and did the work from G4S was not an Engineer , trust me, he was almost certainly less qualified and competent than your electrician!

The other guys have made some good suggestions, I would concurr with them.

Get your Electrician to test the system again, dead, then he can apply temporary power, that will then prove that the heaters are working.

If they still don't work on E7, then you need to send his bill to the supplier and get them to send someone competent out to sort it out.

Stopping paying your bill might focus their minds, as might threatening them with OFGEM.

Though I think you have, unfortunately to exhaust all of the suppliers complaints procedure first.

Remember, though that whilst G4S may have been to your house, you need to get your electricity metering company to sort this out, as your contract is with them, and it is them who selected to use G4S, so if G4S can't do the work it's the fault of G4S, yes, but, the responsibility lies with your metering company.

Al a bunch of wazzoks the lot of em!

As Dave said....AND if he has to come back out of hours AND the supply/clock is at fault then INVOICE your supplier for HIS wated time due to THEIR  meter man being a wazzock
Thanks for all your feedback guys. The supplier sent a G4S man out the next day and it seems the first guy hadn't bothered to set the meter up for the dual tarifs once the second guy phoned India for codes authorisation etc heating worked for one day then I had a power cut due to the wrong amp fuse in the main board should have been an 80 not 60 amp SE Electric came straoght out and sorted it I now have a warm studio.

Glad tyou got is sorted and thanks for letting us know.

Just proves what Sidewinder said, your Electrician was a lot more competent than the meter monkeys.

Last edited by a moderator: