Here we go again !! Windows10

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm being told that installing Windows 10 wipes out everything on Vista  but is OK with XP and something else .

I have Vista on here , which seems fine , what do I know anyway :C   but Support will be gradually withdrawn which I guess forces everyong to upgrade . 

Does anyone know anything about this ?

If I installed Windows10 tomorrow , what would happen to the stuff on my PC ?

If I installed Windows10 tomorrow , what would happen to the stuff on my PC ?

250px-Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

You'll be fine, you wont loose your stuff, you may not be able to find it for a while but it will be there.

The only danger is you throwing your PC out the window.

:lol:

Don't worry about the microsoft propaganda machine either as 3rd party's will keep it going somehow as the world probably still runs on windows NT and that hasn't exploded yet!

:)

Deke,

AFAIK you'll have to pay for 10 to upgrade from Vista.

As far as updates go, yes they will be withdrawn.

I have been working recently on an NT4 machine, I bought a new system with XP on it about 3 years after MS withdrew it from sale, so it's not as clear cut as they  make it seem.

Deke,

AFAIK you'll have to pay for 10 to upgrade from Vista.

As far as updates go, yes they will be withdrawn.

I have been working recently on an NT4 machine, I bought a new system with XP on it about 3 years after MS withdrew it from sale, so it's not as clear cut as they  make it seem.
I didn't know I'd have to pay , it said it was free until June or something.

I have no idea what NT4 means :C

Thanks Duck.   

Wondering if I should hang on and buy a new PC ,  trouble is , I don't like these little pharty ones with small screens , enjoy using this 16"  monitor . 

There's a small PC repair shop where I live making an easy living off the Windows 10 upgrades and restoring the PC's

I'm on W7 and staying that way

Thanks Duck.   

Wondering if I should hang on and buy a new PC ,  trouble is , I don't like these little pharty ones with small screens , enjoy using this 16"  monitor . 

Just buy a new tower unit!

Would it be any different or better than what I have though ?

I presume no one has towers anymore , don't see any in Currys .

We have a Dell lapperbappa which is a bit quicker that this thing , but screen isn't very big and the sound is atrocious .  I have a seperate sound thing on this with a small bass speaker so sound is fine .   

My son was trying to tell me the other day that desktop is best for performance.....

Laptops aren't expensive these days - but make sure its Intel i5 with a minimum of 6GB RAM if you do buy a new one.

I've had my current one for 4 years,and it cost about £500 when new - think I'll keep it another year so its cost is about £2 per week - perfectly acceptable IMHO

6 GB RAM  I'll remember that .    This tower was  a Currys Special Offer  a few years ago , probably because  I found it was 1 GB RAM .  I upgraded it to 4 GB RAM which helped a bit  .     

I notice on this how much quicker Google Chrome is to search.

First PC I bought was at a Puter fair , some old office thing , I thought I had entered the computer age ...........  a VDU screen ....no sound capability ....... and incapable of playing Youtube without constant buffering  .  

Windows NT was the ealy version of the 32 bit operating systems, in the days of Windows 95 / 98.  We used to use it at work. Because PC's then were pretty slow and didn't have much memory, it used to take literally 10 minutes for the PC to boot up in a morning, but once it got going it was fine, until it crahsed, and you went for another cuppa while it re booted.

NT later developed into Windows 2000 / xp / vista etc.

Just because it has no "support" does not mean it is going to stop working. Think of all the benefits of the bloody thing never ever wasting your time downloading and installing any more updated, EVER.

Last edited by a moderator:
Piratebay is your friend here.

I haven't paid for Mickey Mouse operating systems since I got XP with a computer.

I've had no trouble with W7 Ultimate since it came out.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as laptops go, when I was working for the industrial controls companies, we used, Toshiba, IBM, or Acer, nothing else that was not ruggedised would stand up to the abuse on the factory floor.

The ruggedised machines would be Panasonic Toughbook, or semi-ruggedised Siemens PG's.

Since I have been buying laptops I first bought an Acer, then a Lenovo (IBM), then a Toshiba, because Mrs SW didn't "like" the Lenovo's at the time, this machine that I am using now is a Lenovo, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, i5 2.5GHz, which does me fine, and even runs VM's fine, and Ubuntu flies!!!

This currently is Win7 Pro 64, I have it triple booting with Ubuntu & Mint for different uses! ;)