DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Essex1

Secret forum

kerching

Why not invite everyone......you,get the option to opt out.

a bit like organ donation...there are a few 'organs' on here

revjames
kerching

Do,they come with a revolving speaker as standard?

just wondering

Sidewinder

Prog Rocks!...

bluetobits
1 hour ago, Andy™ said:

maybe we should give essex his own private forum and lock him in there on his own?

He'd still start an argument 

SPECIAL LOCATION

I thought we already had a secret forum.......

Isn't it called  "FaceBook"  !!!

:slap

But in all seriousness from when the original admin set this place up one of the points was for it to be open to all ...

from DIY to time served industrial and all flavours in between, to discuss anything any every thing.... 

Anything that you cannot discuss in an adult way on an open and public forum is probably not worth discussing..  (or illegal).

I think it would be to confusing..

what if you started quoting or referring to something in another post that was not open for all to see and know about...

(especially after been in Steptoes shed.. with KME's beer fridge on free vend)...

It would just get all confusing...

Id say just keep things nice and simple as they are already...

as they old saying goes...

If it ain't broke.. DON'T fix it!

Guinness

interesting idea though... 

in the words of a dragons den bod..  I'm out..

Spose you could of course put a poll forum see if the idea has any legs as they say?

:Salute

steptoe

Well it's a big :Salute to SL from me,

Nice to see someone coming out in public on the forum, if only more of our MPs would do the same,,,,

It's not my cup of tea to be honest, but your preference of sexual partner is purely your own, 

;)

SPECIAL LOCATION
1 minute ago, steptoe said:

Well it's a big :Salute to SL from me,

Nice to see someone coming out in public on the forum, if only more of our MPs would do the same,,,,

It's not my cup of tea to be honest, but your preference of sexual partner is purely your own, 

;)

:slap

roys

We use to have a sparky only bit in the forum a couple of years ago didn't we or am I just imagining it?

Essex1

Well let's see what @The Four Horsemen say once they see this thread. 

SPECIAL LOCATION
Just now, roys said:

We use to have a sparky only bit in the forum a couple of years ago didn't we or am I just imagining it?

Ahhhhhh....

Tips and Tricks of the trade... 

was just those who could prove they were one of the scam members If I recall....

now you come to mention it...

I'd forgotten that.

Unless I'm wrong???

:C

roys
1 minute ago, SPECIAL LOCATION said:

Ahhhhhh....

Tips and Tricks of the trade... 

was just those who could prove they were one of the scam members If I recall....

now you come to mention it...

I'd forgotten that.

Unless I'm wrong???

Yeah that was it, there was some good stuff discussed in there.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Now hang on a bit......

haven't we now got the Gold / Silver / Bronze membership thingamajig.....

which allows or prohibits certain access or features.....

So isn't it a case of subscribers  (those who pay a bit)    -vs-   guests  (those that don't) 

So wont that achieve the same objective as a secret club bit ???

Edited by SPECIAL LOCATION

Essex1
2 minutes ago, SPECIAL LOCATION said:

Now hang on a bit......

haven't we now got the Gold / Silver / Bronze membership thingamajig.....

which allows or prohibits certain access or features.....

So isn't it a case of subscribers  (those who pay a bit)    -vs-   guests  (those that don't) 

So wont that achieve the same objective as a secret club bit ???

I have no idea what a gold membership gets me over and above a silver/bronze or standard member. 

NozSpark

I don't like the idea of a secret or closed area that can't be seen... It'd end up that a great many things would be discussed that wouldn't be visible to the search engines which is what these places need to have or they will end up becoming late forums...

and that would be pure lunacy IMHO

SPECIAL LOCATION
2 minutes ago, NozSpark said:

I don't like the idea of a secret or closed area that can't be seen... It'd end up that a great many things would be discussed that wouldn't be visible to the search engines which is what these places need to have or they will end up becoming late forums...

and that would be pure lunacy IMHO

Now there's a point......

Just thinking this live with a bottle of Becks...

But...

If its Sponsors that contribute finances to help keep this running...

Surely they will want to see a forum that is active with regular posts and increasing membership to raise their potential target for their adverts...

If a certain percentage of messages dropped and members daily activity started to drop...

Wouldn't that mean sponsors are less likely to renew..

and thus bring about problems of sustainability that (I believe) the original admin started to encounter.

before the four donkey riders took over the running and bill paying?

Essex1

The day a forum is dictated to by it's sponsors is the day the forum starts to die. Any forum should be for the members.  Not the sponsors. 

steptoe
2 hours ago, SPECIAL LOCATION said:
1 hour ago, Essex1 said:

The day a forum is dictated to by it's sponsors is the day the forum starts to die. Any forum should be for the members.  Not the sponsors. 

Now,

Without wanting to rock too many boats,

Isn't that a massive problem with a lot of forums,? 

Whereby people/members get fed up with being bombarded with sponsor messages they simply give up and go elsewhere,?

I actually forgot about the tips&tricks bit, maybe it needs re-juvenated,,,,?  

Also, I can actually understand @Essex1 point, but, just how do you verify someone is a spark,? 

Does a 5ww qualify,?  I'd hate to think they would,?

Do you need an NVQ3? or an AM2,?

It's a minefielf tbh,  imho,

k

pewter

There is a secerate special trade electrician forum, for the best of the best. I unfortunatly do not meet the citeria.

to join you need to get thier app 'Grindr'  arrange a meeting and do the initiation. They use code words i think.

Let us know how you get on.

Doc Hudson
9 hours ago, Essex1 said:

With ref to the above point, the day a forum has no funds to pay for appropriate servers and bandwidth to provide a reasonable service is actually when it starts to die. If the pages are too slow to load, or it keeps crashing during busy periods then people will stop using it. So it is either someone with deep pockets who will bankroll it as a hobby from their personal funds, or a membership subscription to pay to access, of voluntary contributions, or advertising sponsorship ,or a mix of several funding methods. If you are recommending the forum is for the members accessible to anyone, with no subscription, it does put a heavier burden on the sponsorship fund raising aspect to keep it running for its members. It is a delicate balance between the funding and functioning of the forum. I do not believe we are dictated to by any of our sponsors and their support is very welcome and appreciated. But in return I would like to think they do see a reasonable amount of traffic, with new members and good rankings in the various internet search engines, offering them potential customers for their products as well. Any forum needs funds to survive and the vast majority of our members contribute little or nothing so I would say we offer an exceptional service to all of our members. Relating back to the original question, I have no idea if more sections, secret or public is any benefit, I sometimes think we have too many sub sections already and could do with a prune and merge session.

Doc H.  

Doc Hudson
8 hours ago, steptoe said:

I actually forgot about the tips&tricks bit, maybe it needs re-juvenated,,,,?  

Which sort of confirms my point about to many sub sections already. The more you have the less each part is used with the risk of being forgotten.  Tips and Tricks Of The Trade, is still there described as 'This Forum is for Subscribed Members only'. so it is restricted access already.

Doc H. 

Essex1
6 minutes ago, Doc Hudson said:

With ref to the above point, the day a forum has no funds to pay for appropriate servers and bandwidth to provide a reasonable service is actually when it starts to die. If the pages are too slow to load, or it keeps crashing during busy periods then people will stop using it. So it is either someone with deep pockets who will bankroll it as a hobby from their personal funds, or a membership subscription to pay to access, of voluntary contributions, or advertising sponsorship ,or a mix of several funding methods. If you are recommending the forum is for the members accessible to anyone, with no subscription, it does put a heavier burden on the sponsorship fund raising aspect to keep it running for its members. It is a delicate balance between the funding and functioning of the forum. I do not believe we are dictated to by any of our sponsors and their support is very welcome and appreciated. But in return I would like to think they do see a reasonable amount of traffic, with new members and good rankings in the various internet search engines, offering them potential customers for their products as well. Any forum needs funds to survive and the vast majority of our members contribute little or nothing so I would say we offer an exceptional service to all of our members. Relating back to the original question, I have no idea if more sections, secret or public is any benefit, I sometimes think we have too many sub sections already and could do with a prune and merge session.

Doc H.  

I should have added that I do not think this forum is dictated by the sponsors in any way.  It was a general opinion not an observation.  

I do happen to agree that the amount of sub-sections is too much.  I just click the 'activity' button anyway.  Who really searches through all the sub-sections?  I would cut at least 30% from the list.

1 minute ago, Doc Hudson said:

Which sort of confirms my point about to many sub sections already. The more you have the less each part is used with the risk of being forgotten.  Tips and Tricks Of The Trade, is still there described as 'This Forum is for Subscribed Members only'. so it is restricted access already.

Doc H. 

yes it is there but is quite specific in what can be posted there.  I do not really understand the point of that section TBH.  

Doc Hudson
12 minutes ago, Essex1 said:

yes it is there but is quite specific in what can be posted there.  I do not really understand the point of that section TBH.  

It was started back in 2008 under our original owner. If I remember correctly we briefly had a time when users who could verify their membership of one of the schemes, Nic, Elecsa, Napit etc. were able to access this area to discuss stuff that was considered as trade only information possibly inappropriate for DIY. But I may be wrong.

Doc H.  

M107

Well I remember being a member of another sparks forum (commonly called the darkside) when it first started & inside a month or two one of the members of their secret society  C***** up in the very early hours of a morning & left pages open for all to see.......only for a few mins but that was long enough.

Needless to say forum members & some were sponsors were not that amused to see what the so called secret society really thought of them & their sponsoring..................screen shots are a wonderful thing:slap..................fancy calling Easyfox a ******:angry:

Secret societies will bring nothing but trouble. 

Apache
22 hours ago, roys said:

*cough*

http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/forum/19-tips-and-tricks-of-the-trade/

Only for subscribed members

Important Information

Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.