Plumber electrocuted.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
A local plumber only 21yrs old working in the loft on the supply for immersion tank, grabbed the bare cable ends unaware the circuit was live due to customer flicking the cu main switch on downstairs to make a brew.

The customer only realised something was up when the smoke detector on landing started howling, because the lad had fallen across his halogen work light doc's said he was dead before hitting the deck.

A warning to all isolate lock off & tag out.

That's awful.

Suppose there was an advantage with the old re-wireable fuses. Pull it out and put it in your pocket.

:|

Thats dreadful, at the very least the cable could have been taped up.

My M8 followed some other sparks on a job last week where they had installed downlights in a kitchen. Under the floor were two live batten holders with a feed tapped off one. Just pushed them into the ceiling. You know those old battens where all the cables are connected into the lampholder S/w - neut- & loop feeds in the third terminal. Anyone groping under there or plumber pushing a pipe could be killed.

A local plumber only 21yrs old working in the loft on the supply for immersion tank, grabbed the bare cable ends unaware the circuit was live due to customer flicking the cu main switch on downstairs to make a brew.The customer only realised something was up when the smoke detector on landing started howling, because the lad had fallen across his halogen work light doc's said he was dead before hitting the deck.

A warning to all isolate lock off & tag out.
well we all my have a dig at other trades (especially plumbers) at times...

But that is NOT good!!! :( :( :( :( :(

Perhaps another illustration of why ALL of the part P bodies labour on about SAFE ISOLATION!

poor sod 21! only a young un!!! :( :_|

I really really do hope EVERYONE on this forum, when working at a property where others are in the building

ensure accidental re-energising is impossible!

THERE ARE NO EXCUSES!!!..... are there? :|

Not nice for the poor customer either.. having to find that either:| :( :( :(

you can get a MCB lock for a few quid from any wholesaler. they probably dont have them in stock, but should be able to order one from wylex etc. even without the lock through it, it still needs a screwdriver to remove it

I think this is a very sad story and tragic that such a young tradesman's life has been lost.

It certainly proves that safe isolation is not enough, you need to take steps to ensure that the supply cannot be accidentally restored by a third party.

That's where I got my first set of lockouts Robo.

My local wholesaler is currently dishing them out free (one set of 3 per account holding customer) when a cu is purchased.

cb12%20toggle%20lock.jpg

i have a few of these types. fits just about any sized MCB, inc isolators & RCD's etc

I recently tried several small wholesalers and even a major player and found none stocked lock outs.

I was very surprised that such a basic piece of H&S was missing from stock and had to ordered in.

I recently tried several small wholesalers and even a major player and found none stocked lock outs.
most will have a catalog from the MCB manufacturers. look through this and they will most likely have the lock out devices for them. and can then order them from that code.

they are not a popular seller, so there is no point in them having many (If any!) in stock

IIRC, i paid about

Communication with the customer is also important: let them know what will be worked on, what will be switched off, the reason and an estimate of how long, where you will be working, places that the customer and other people on the site cannot have access to. There is no accounting for the thick and headstrong, or the physical size of some sites, but in small locations with a small number of people I have found it to work.

Communication is an addition to the physical site safety lock-offs, signs, barriers and PPE.

Pyro.

if in doubt pull the main fuse out,,,put it in your pocket put cover back on