LED bulbs not lasting long

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to appear greener and save a few quid. Replaced a load of R63 reflector lamps for LED versions, The ones I got are branded and appear to be well made, but, I've had them 4 -5 weeks and already 4 have gone.

What happens when they go:

There is a short period of flickering, then the lamp will be on very dim.

When you turn off the switch the lamp in subject will remain lit for 5 seconds or so, as though a capacitor is discharging.

eventually the lamp doesn't light at all

Sound familiar?

It's not a particular fitting or anything

4 lamps failed over 3 fitting, 2 in same (3 lamp) fitting in different branches

The brand is THG.

See the attached pics

I stripped one down and it appears that one of the smd LED's has blown. It has a little black dot. I linked it out with my voltage tester and the fitting lit up....

20160315_211205.jpg

20160315_211142.jpg

Out of curiosity is there any switch start fluorescents on the same circuit? My daughter had a number go down and found it was when the garage fluorescent was used. After replacing with an LED tube there was no problem. Voltage spike via the ballast?

Out of curiosity is there any switch start fluorescents on the same circuit? My daughter had a number go down and found it was when the garage fluorescent was used. After replacing with an LED tube there was no problem. Voltage spike via the ballast?

Hmmmmm, very interesting. Yes, there are. 2 x in kitchen and 2 x in garage.

All lights are currently on same circuit until I get round to rewiring them.

What's wrong with the good ol CFL?

(Carbon filament Lamp).

This ones been going for 115 years...

170px-Livermore_Centennial_Light_Bulb.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light