Builder does electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Clearing photos off the phone.

So I had a cu to swap & relocate, I ask the customer who wired the extension & why didnt they move the cu............"the builder, but he wasn't comfortable doing the cu work"

Decided an EICR was in order prior to my work.

Just a few of the delights I found

IMG_20160305_132919.jpgIMG_20160305_132905.jpgIMG_20160305_132910.jpg 

The best was a connection in the loft for the outside lighting

IMG_20160305_132351.jpgIMG_20160305_132357.jpg

The builder was definitely right. He would not have been comfortable doing the CU. 

The switch in the loft is a mystery from am operational point of view. It's one end of a 2 way switching circuit, so where is the other end?  The thought process to arrive at a 2 way switching circuit with one of them face down on the loft insulation with no back box must have been amazing.

And if you use a MF terminal block, well you are never going to need to remove the tape are you?

Well the story of the switch in the loft goes something like.....(as told by the owner)

customer wanted 2 way switching of all outside lights (6 in total) one switch in the bedroom that has no door to the outside ?:|  (it's a bungalow ), the other is the far end of the property by the back door.

The switch was a temporary fix while the builders spark decided the best method of connecting all the cables  :pmsl1:

As for the taped Wagos,  that turned into a drawn out debate, builder told customer they were  compliant connections and he has never had any complaints from building control; plus his spark who signs off all the electrics is ok with it.

Customer wanted me to call the builder to give reasons for my concern  :Bad Idea:

No hope when muppets like this keep getting away with substandard work. Customer wasn't overly worried though  :DeadHorse: