tncs or tns

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
in my experience when in a domestic house when the supply cable is inside the house directly near the fusebox it normally is a tns system and its easy to see off the sheath of the supply cable in to earth block etc.A house i went to exactly the example i mentioned it had an old earth wire looked to be part of the sheath but i could not tell it came out at the bottom of the supply cut out old style cut out bs 88 fuse style cut out i presume the earth can be tagged on actually inside the cut out. Im guessing its a tns if tncs it would be going in to side of the neutraul block these systems are outside normally in a electric box the supply cut out id say tns has to be 

in my experience when in a domestic house when the supply cable is inside the house directly near the fusebox it normally is a tns system and its easy to see off the sheath of the supply cable in to earth block etc.A house i went to exactly the example i mentioned it had an old earth wire looked to be part of the sheath but i could not tell it came out at the bottom of the supply cut out old style cut out bs 88 fuse style cut out i presume the earth can be tagged on actually inside the cut out. Im guessing its a tns if tncs it would be going in to side of the neutraul block these systems are outside normally in a electric box the supply cut out id say tns has to be 

Too much of a generalisation. I agree nearly all new supplies are TNCS but you cant guarantee   it .

Punctuation is one of those wonderful things that really help people to understand what you're on about. 

If this is an older, non-compound filled cutout with a crutch cover then it is possible that the earth has been connected to the lead sheath inside the crutch cover, however it's not normally done that way. It could also be that for some reason the earth wire has been taken out of the bottom of the neutral side and it's actually a TNCS supply. 

If there any exposed lead sheath outside the cutout at all?

Your best bet for complete clarification would be to contact your DNO. (Please do not remove the cover to have a look yourself, remember interfering with DNO equipment is illegal). 

What do you mean by:

"these systems are outside normally in a electric box the supply cut out id say tns has to be" ?

Blue Duck has given you the best clue to finding out which earthing is supplied.

misssweedens answer I can tell has gone right over your head.

try to remember

( , )used in a sentence, good guide, for instance when you need to take a breath.

( . ) used at the end of a sentence.

( ' ) used when using a simple quote, or as a sign that some letters have been omitted for instance cannot = can't.

It would be far more easier to read your posts if you at least tried.

Last edited by a moderator: