17th Edition, third harmonics question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alessandro

Reaction score
Hello, I will take 17th Edition soon and I was doing practice questions with a simulator. The only answer I got wrong was the third harmonics one, I read it on the Regs but I don't get it. Would you be able to help me with a demonstration of the calculatioins needed to find the answer?

Where a three phase circuit with a design load of 39 A has 20% third harmonics present, the design load after applying the rating factor for the harmonics would be:

a. 54 A
b. 45 A --> CORRECT ANSWER
c. 35 A
d. 4.5 A

Reference: Appendix 4, 5.5.2, page 335

The design load I get after applying the formula is 39.8 A but, according to the simulation, this is not the correct answer.

PS well done on trying to answer by yourself first, it is the best way to get exam type questions answered by a forum.

Ahah, I only had to divide by the factor in the table then. I was reading 5.5.2. Thank you for your help roys. :)

For your information, Appendix 11 was deleted by Amendment 1 and moved to Appendix 4, secs 5.5 and 5.6.